Hungarian Soldiers POW

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Géza Árbocz

Hungarian Soldiers POW

Post by Géza Árbocz » 26 Feb 2003, 01:44

I'm willing to know where I can find some data about where the Hungarian soldiers were captured on German soil, during the end of the wwII, mainly by american and french troops.

Milan Szekelyhidi

Re: Hungarian Soldiers POW

Post by Milan Szekelyhidi » 06 Mar 2003, 15:48

Hungarian units fought in Germany:

25. SS Hunyadi units fought in Germany (regions): Neuhammer, Passau, Oberhausen, Berlin, Timelkam (North-Austria, stoped the US attack, 5 Sherman tanks shot up).
26. SS Hungária units fought in Germany (regions): Sieradz, Krieven, Stringau - Strehlen (with 31. German SS panzer grenadier division), Neuhammer - Breslau (with 25. Hungarian SS Hunyadi), Brün - Menin, South-west from Regensburg, Ried - St. Martin (along the Inn flow opposite US tanks), Amstetten (Austria), Attersee (nearby Salzburg (Austria), US captivity)
1. Hungarian SS Ski battalion: Gross-Göllmisch - Nitschkenau - Rabahn - Kranichsee (along Bober flow), Lorenzdorf (along Queis flow), Leobenbe (with Wiking SS), Bruck an der Mur, Attersee
Ney SS regiment (later brigade): Rechnitz - Oberwart, Birkfeld, Pöllau, Lafnitz-valley, Attersee
Szt. László division: Karinthia (South-Austria)
And more units, who squeezed out with fought opposite Red Army.

Source:
Péter Gosztonyi: The Hungarian Army at the WWII.
Hungary in the WW2 lexicon A-Zs

Milán
Attachments
shouth_germany_s.jpg
Hungarian units in Germany
shouth_germany_s.jpg (85.69 KiB) Viewed 1652 times

Géza Árbocz

Hungarian POW

Post by Géza Árbocz » 08 Mar 2003, 21:36

Many thanks to Milan by his answer concerned to the Hungarian troops field distribution and join battle held with the German troops.
But I'm still wondering where the Hungarian troops were kept prisioners by the American and French troops, I have one reference from my father, who was held at the Brezenheim POW camp, located at the city of Bad Kreuznach, Germany.
What I'm trying to have is some additional confirmation of this fact.
Can anybody help me with this?

Géza Árbocz

Hungarian Soldiers POW

Post by Géza Árbocz » 13 Mar 2003, 01:55

Recently I found a site about the American POW camps, which is the following:www.rheinwiesenlager.de/Bretzenheim.htm, which is in German language, which means for me, that I'll need a litle more time to get through it, because I do not know the German language so well.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”