Hessen Antique, Quality?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
qwlwp

Hessen Antique, Quality?

Post by qwlwp » 17 Dec 2010, 08:56

Has anyone bought any german tunics from Hessen Antique, if yes; can you comment on the quality of their products? Like how is the size, and are they really as good looking as they are on most of the images?

I'd like to know because I'm going for an officer uniform next, and I really want it to be of very good quality.

Example, taken from their website.

qwlwp

Re: Hessen Antique, Quality?

Post by qwlwp » 19 Dec 2010, 20:48

Come on... has nobody bought anything from Hessen Antique... ever...? :?

Freiwilligen

Post by Freiwilligen » 19 Dec 2010, 21:33

They're Pirschen products right now. Those have been discussed in length here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=137489

qwlwp

Post by qwlwp » 21 Dec 2010, 00:23

Freiwilligen wrote:They're Pirschen products right now. Those have been discussed in length here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=137489
Ok, thanks.

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 21 Dec 2010, 23:14

For my birthday three weeks ago, I received a Luftwaffe tropical fieldblouse from Hessen Antique. I have one purchased from der Stahladler as well. Although these are both supposed to be from ANT-Z Militaria/Pirschen, the quality of the one from Hessen Antique is disappointing when compared to that from Der Stahladler; disappointing in fabric quality, colour, buttons, and assembly (there is already a seam coming apart on the inside left elbow). Both fieldblouses have had unslit buttonholes at the cuffs and first-aid kit pocket.

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

landser32

Post by landser32 » 27 Dec 2010, 00:21

Wow that's pretty bad.. I had heard that the quality of ANT-Z products really started going down the pooper once he worked out all of the bugs from his earlier efforts and he started going the distribution route. I'm glad that the ones that I have were made in the middle before he left ebay for the bigger fishes..

Love'em or hate'em there was a time when they were quite a promising alternative to the big $$..

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 29 Dec 2010, 19:22

I also received for Christmas the KM "dirtsailor" shoulderboards. It appears that either the shoulderboards are made from the wrongside of a wool blend, or they are the scraps of leftover Chinese wool stock. Either way, they're not worth the $20.00 USD for crossed anchors embroidered on wool. Well, I guess that's to be expected once you stop dealing directly with the manufacturer.

"...I only ride in 'em; I don't know what makes 'em work..."

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

landser32

Post by landser32 » 29 Dec 2010, 21:41

Can you exchange them for a correctly made pair? Once again that stinks on the QQ level..

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 31 Dec 2010, 00:30

The stuff's not bad, it's just the stuff via Stahladler is better. I'll try to post some comparison pictures in the next week.

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

Deleted account

Post by Deleted account » 04 Jan 2011, 02:12

Stahladler is still around? I looked on the page and saw the last update was March 2010, so I wrote them off. I hope I am wrong, as it looks like they have nice stuff.

Dieter

Post by Dieter » 04 Jan 2011, 05:33

Der Stahladler WAS a Pirschen (Ant-Z) distributer, but unreliability issues from his supplier has pretty much tanked his business. More's the pity, because Wilibald (Michel) is a well-meaning young businessman whom I would do business with any day! Hessian sells Ant-Z, too, and hopefully will not be in for the same poor treatment by an unreliable (no matter how apologetic a) supplier. :|
Incidentally, Pirchen's Officer gabardine uniforms, and his HBT's are indeed of nice quality, but I'd seriously advise staying away from his enlisted wool stuff (IF you can get it). Hessian is reliable, but Pirschen (Ant-Z) has repeatedly proven himself not to be. :x
IMHO, for Enlisted wools, go with GMAX, OTM, SMW (another reliability issue), 1944 or even ATF's STURM stuff. For Officer stuff, go with Janke.
R.I.P. Lost Battalions. :(
Last edited by Dieter on 05 Jan 2011, 05:23, edited 2 times in total.

Dare Furor

Post by Dare Furor » 04 Jan 2011, 07:59

Deleted user wrote:Stahladler is still around? I looked on the page and saw the last update was March 2010, so I wrote them off. I hope I am wrong, as it looks like they have nice stuff.
Yes, der Stahladler is still around.

http://www.stahladler.com/stahltest/indexb.htm

Dare Furor
<uuuUkuuu>

Pak38

Post by Pak38 » 04 Jan 2011, 19:54

I called ATF the other day to ask about an Einheitsfeldmutz and the guy said not yet, but that they would have them in a few weeks. He said the owner had just hired some new people to start production of German uniforms again. Anyone know more than that?

landser32

Post by landser32 » 17 Jan 2011, 23:06

Komeraden,
If that's the case, then put me down for an M43 from ATF in a heartbeat. My biggest regret since being in the hobby, is that I only stuck with LB for feldbluses despite the advice of veteran WH reenactors, so never picked one up back in the early 00's when they were still making them. As for Hessen no worries, Rick has known Chen for years & flies to China regularly when necessary for business. Something I don't think Willibald has the ability to do unfortunately..

Pak38

Post by Pak38 » 01 Feb 2011, 19:02

landser32 wrote:Wow that's pretty bad.. I had heard that the quality of ANT-Z products really started going down the pooper once he worked out all of the bugs from his earlier efforts and he started going the distribution route. I'm glad that the ones that I have were made in the middle before he left ebay for the bigger fishes..

Love'em or hate'em there was a time when they were quite a promising alternative to the big $$..
This is a no-brainer. Chen used to get $80 for a uniform. Now he has to sell them to Hessen for about $40. What would YOU do if you were making a product and had to cut your price in half? There's really no choice but to cut costs. The situation is no surprise. At least the price is still unbeatable.

Return to “Reenactment”