General Motors, Barcelona

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Mr Oracle

General Motors, Barcelona

Post by Mr Oracle » 30 Dec 2010, 23:26

I have been approached with a query about GM's Barcelona operations:
My name is William Richerson and currently I'm in the middle of researching the impact of business and war. While the book covers from the days of the Roman Empire, the central focus is World War II due to the concentrated impact of science, techology and the mass marketing business of that period.

I've just come across your website and I'm quite impressed. I read Sloan's bibliography years ago,and while it still holds its rightful place on my bookshelf, your writing and research has more substance and I am enjoying the reading.

Currently my research is focused on the Spanish Civil War and the impact of GM and Ford trucks sales to the Nationalists. My research of oral histories from the Abrahm Lincoln International Brigade and battle histories point out "American" trucks allowed Nationalist troops unthought of mobility for the times. Perhaps in an unintended way this appears to be the first examples of modern mobil infantry which was greatly built upon several short years later during World War II.

What I'm searching for:
1) numbers and types of trucks that GM sold to the Nationalists.
2) when were they shipped and arrived in Spain.
3) did any of them have to be driven into Spain from Portugal or France due to various battles or blockades.
4) How was the influx of vehicles serviced? Were the Chevrolet dealers contracted for parts and service, either at a sales facility or through mobil repair operations as the troops moved further away from the dealers' locations. Was it necessary to send extra mechanics to Spain to provide maintence and repairs.
I believe that after the plant was taken-over it produced Marathon trucks?

Ironmachine

Re: General Motors, Barcelona

Post by Ironmachine » 24 Jan 2011, 10:04

As you are having no luck with your question, I will tell you what I know about this matter (although admittedly it is not much):
AFAIK, the trucks provided by Chevrolet were Models 1937, 1938 and 1939 of 1.5 tons. I have no idea about the numbers, but the usual number stated for U.S. supplied trucks is about 12,000 for all firms.
Many of the trucks seem to have entered Spain through the French and Portuguese frontiers. I don't think this was due to a blockade or any battle; probably it was "politically" easier to send them to a third country from the U.S. than directly to Spain.
It seems that, after being occupied by the CNT, the General Motors factory in Barcelona only produced the "Maratón" truck... if they produced any of them, though, because I have seen references that said that no one such truck was ever produced...

Now, regarding the
"American" trucks allowed Nationalist troops unthought of mobility for the times. Perhaps in an unintended way this appears to be the first examples of modern mobil infantry which was greatly built upon several short years later during World War II.
though certainly those trucks were an unprecedented capacity at least in Spain, their influcence should not be overvalued. That would be 12,000 trucks for an army that eventually reached a million men, where they were employed for almost everything (hauling supplies, towing artillery, moving troops...) over a road net that was very limited both in quantity and quality. On the other hand, if these trucks gave the National troops a degree of mobility far over what was achieved by the other side, the merit should be given to the National commanders that used them in such a way, because the Republicans had a similar number of trucks (see, for example, Los vehículos soviéticos del Ejército de la República by Josep Mª. Mata Duaso, which gives the number of 11,787 Soviet trucks sent to Spain from the end of 1936 to August 1938). That could have provided the Republic with a similar mobility, much more so when, being on the defensive and having interior lines, it would have been easier for them to move their forces.

Regards.

Alsaceone

Post by Alsaceone » 25 Mar 2011, 07:00

Your point regarding that the Republican should have had an advantage of mobility, especially early in the conflict, is on point. Perhaps the airlift of Franco's troops, was just enough to through the balance of power in southern Spain before the Republicans could consolidate their forces and resources to oppose Franco's move to Spain once the Republican efforts on establish a naval blockade of the Moroccan ports failed. They could have learned some logistical lessons from the American Civil War
The political cohesiveness of the Republican leadership seems fragile at best.

Initially, after Franco's Moroccan troops were airlifted, it was imperative not to get caught up in a World War I style walk up the Spanish/Portuguese border, but to aggressively move his troops and supplies until a link up with the Northern Nationalist forces.
Ford Motor Co was initially using Portugal to bring in their trucks and parts during at least the early part of the Spanish Civil War. It is my understanding that the Republican leaders were surprised by the mobility of the Nationalists forces. Later Abraham Lincoln Brigade veterans mention being chased by Nationalist troops in Ford trucks. I view Franco's mobility of action, not spectacular per say, but as being another of the incremental developmental steps that will eventually lead to the Blitz in the West in 1940 and the other famous examples of mobile warfare. There are also examples of these incremental developmental steps to be found in the takeover of Austria and Czechoslovakia, and with each step another lesson learned.
Aside of the question of Chevy, Ford and Studebaker trucks supplied to Franco on credit, is the question of service and repairs. I haven't seen much material regarding where the mechanics came from to keep the trucks moving in the Nationalist zones . In the Second Italia-Abyssinia War, Ford was contracted in 1935 not only for 1,500 special duty military trucks and parts, but also service and repairs. As Ford only sold a couple of trucks a year in the Eritrea area, bringing in extra mechanics was essential for the whole business transaction to work. The Italian contract with Ford called for parts , service and repairs in the value of 30% of the trucks purchased. So in Spain, I would speculate that GM's operations with Franco would have to be greater than just selling trucks on credit. Even if GM/Chevrolet mechanics split 50-50 on whose side of the civil war they sided with, I don't think there would be enough left to service the logistical needs of the wartime motor pool.

Again thanks,Bill :milsmile:[quote][/quote]'to git thar fust with the most men" Nathan Bedford Forrest

jmata

Post by jmata » 12 May 2011, 19:22

Mr Oracle wrote:I have been approached with a query about GM's Barcelona operations:
My name is William Richerson and currently I'm in the middle of researching the impact of business and war. While the book covers from the days of the Roman Empire, the central focus is World War II due to the concentrated impact of science, techology and the mass marketing business of that period.

I've just come across your website and I'm quite impressed. I read Sloan's bibliography years ago,and while it still holds its rightful place on my bookshelf, your writing and research has more substance and I am enjoying the reading.

Currently my research is focused on the Spanish Civil War and the impact of GM and Ford trucks sales to the Nationalists. My research of oral histories from the Abrahm Lincoln International Brigade and battle histories point out "American" trucks allowed Nationalist troops unthought of mobility for the times. Perhaps in an unintended way this appears to be the first examples of modern mobil infantry which was greatly built upon several short years later during World War II.

What I'm searching for:
1) numbers and types of trucks that GM sold to the Nationalists.
2) when were they shipped and arrived in Spain.
3) did any of them have to be driven into Spain from Portugal or France due to various battles or blockades.
4) How was the influx of vehicles serviced? Were the Chevrolet dealers contracted for parts and service, either at a sales facility or through mobil repair operations as the troops moved further away from the dealers' locations. Was it necessary to send extra mechanics to Spain to provide maintence and repairs.
I believe that after the plant was taken-over it produced Marathon trucks?

I have information about the trucks arrived to Spain from GM en 1938-39. Please, could you send me your e-mail? I can send you the information by e-mail.

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 14 May 2011, 19:28

May I ask you to share this info with me?
Bay the way...J Mata. Something in common with JM Mata Duaso?

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”