Nuremberg

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Caldric

Nuremberg

Post by Caldric » 02 Mar 2003 00:19

[Moved from the Polls section]

What is your opinion of the Nuremberg Trials? This has been asked before in discussions but I am interested in a poll.

Read before voting:

What I mean by needed is pretty much straight forward, however success I base on were they fair (considering), and more importantly did it set a precedence of how aggressive wars of conquest would be handled by the international community?

Please explain your opinion if you care to, discussion is good. There is a great deal to be learned and taught on this subject I still find much of the event to be unknown.

Benoit Douville
Financial supporter

Post by Benoit Douville » 02 Mar 2003 03:44

Caldric,

Of course the Nuremberg trial was needed after such horrible(holocaust) thing that happened during the war. On the other hand, I believe that the verdict of some high Nazi ranking man like Goering was decided by the Allies even before the trial begin. Also, every warcrimes commited by the Nazi and the Allies should have been prosecuted.

Well, that's an interesting debate. Let's see what the other members had to say on this issue.

Regards

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 02 Mar 2003 09:15

Benoit Douville wrote:Caldric,

Of course the Nuremberg trial was needed after such horrible(holocaust) thing that happened during the war. On the other hand, I believe that the verdict of some high Nazi ranking man like Goering was decided by the Allies even before the trial begin. Also, every warcrimes commited by the Nazi and the Allies should have been prosecuted.

Well, that's an interesting debate. Let's see what the other members had to say on this issue.

Regards

I agree about Goering, but I think we can fairly well assume he was guilty long before the trials anyway. At least he was given his time to say his peace and to defend his actions.

wenty

Post by wenty » 02 Mar 2003 11:56

I voted for the mixture option because i think some parts were OK and others not. I think the Nuremberg trials were needed to uncover evidence from leading Nazis and find some truth, which some was successfully, but i believe it was partly a sham too because of some sentences defendants received. My Oppinion anyway. Cheers. :)

Raed

The Verdict

Post by Raed » 07 May 2003 08:35

The Nürnberg Trials were extremely necessary, however justice was inconsistent. The Russians wanted everyone executed. The French, US, and Britain had to throw them a bone here and there so this undoubtedly condemned men who wouldn't have been otherwise. Speer and Hess were given too severe sentences.

ZackdeBlanc

Post by ZackdeBlanc » 07 May 2003 18:22

They were necessary, but of course not entirely fair. There were warcrimes committed by the Allies as well, especially the Russians, why no trials for them?

-- zack

Chadwick

Nuremberg Trials

Post by Chadwick » 09 May 2003 06:48

I voted that the outcome of the trials were mixed.
Of course the world needed some kind of justice after the horrors Nazi Germany perpetrated throughout their conquered areas. However, I believe many Nazi's either fell through the cracks or were never caught. Industrial leaders such as the Krupp family who provided the war materiel as well as used slave labor to produce such were let go. Mainly I believe this occured because Western allied leaders were already looking at building a stable, non-threatening, non-communist Germany and realized a strong economic base was needed for this goal. I also feel many S.S. persona went free who should have been tried and executed. The main example of this is Josef Mengele who ordered the killing and performed horrific experiments on concentration camp inmates. Instead of being tried at Nuremberg, Mengele lived to a ripe old age and died of a heart attack while swimming in South America.

Chris :|

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”