"The Littorio Class" by E. Bagnasco and A. De Toro

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
DrG

"The Littorio Class" by E. Bagnasco and A. De Toro

Post by DrG » 21 Nov 2011, 02:11

I wish to recommend this book by noted Italian naval historian Erminio Bagnasco and Augusto De Toro: The Littorio Class: Italy's Last and Largest Battleships 1937-1948. I have its Italian edition Le navi da battaglia classe "Littorio" 1937-1948 and I think it's one of the best books about the history of a WW2 battleship, full of technical details, excellent photos and drawings.
But, and this may be even more interesting for the English-speaking readers, there are also many pages about the Italian naval strategy that was behind the desisgn, construction and use of these battleships, pages that, pratically, give a coincise but deep and serious understanding of Italian naval strategy in the late '30s. Moreover this books includes a chapter about the operative history of the ships of this class, with details about the battles and even the smaller actions to which they took part, providing also very detailed information about the damages suffered and inflicted.
I think it's worth every dollar spent, and maybe even some dollars more (but don't tell the publisher! :wink:).
Guido

mescal

Re: "The Littorio Class" by E. Bagnasco and A. De Toro

Post by mescal » 21 Nov 2011, 17:21

Hello,

That's very good news to have a new book on Italian warships published in English !

I'm especially happy with this part :
there are also many pages about the Italian naval strategy that was behind the desisgn, construction and use of these battleships, pages that, pratically, give a coincise but deep and serious understanding of Italian naval strategy in the late '30s

Thank you for posting it.
Olivier

DrG

Post by DrG » 22 Nov 2011, 01:26

Dear Olivier,
from your avatar's flag and you location I can guess you are French. Maybe you can understand Italian language (I can read French despite the fact that I haven't studied it at school and I am unable to write or speak it), if it's so you may try to read also this little masterpiece about Italian naval strategy in the Thrities: Le implicazioni navali della conquista dell'Impero (1935-1941) by Ernesto Pellegrini.
Guido

Harry64

Post by Harry64 » 22 Nov 2011, 21:12

Guido,

maybe you can also give an assessment about this book

http://www.libreriaeditriceatesa.it/ind ... cts_id=736

greets

Harry

DrG

Post by DrG » 23 Nov 2011, 02:22

Dear Harry,
I am sorry, but I haven't read that book. Anyway, it's published by Albertelli Editore and the drawings and photos have been provided by commander Bagnasco, so I can guess it's quality is high.
Guido

mescal

Post by mescal » 23 Nov 2011, 10:59

DrG wrote:Dear Olivier,
from your avatar's flag and you location I can guess you are French. Maybe you can understand Italian language (I can read French despite the fact that I haven't studied it at school and I am unable to write or speak it), if it's so you may try to read also this little masterpiece about Italian naval strategy in the Thrities: Le implicazioni navali della conquista dell'Impero (1935-1941) by Ernesto Pellegrini.
Guido
Hello Guido,

I'm French indeed, and I'm more or less able to "decipher" Italian.
I'll probably give a try to the above reference.

Anyway, thank you very much, it's always useful to be aware of non-english publication.
Olivier

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”