Leon Rozenblatt - Lodz Ghetto Police Chief

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
heimwehr danzig

Leon Rozenblatt - Lodz Ghetto Police Chief

Post by heimwehr danzig » 27 Nov 2011, 15:40

Hi,

I have been looking for some information on Leon Rozenblatt (or Rosenblatt) chief of the Ghetto Police (Ordnungsdienst) in the Lodz Ghetto under Mordechai Chaim Rumkowski.

Having done a search of this forum, checked Google (and Wikipedia :oops: ) I can find surprisingly little about this man. Nor is there much in the excellent "Ghettostadt" by Gordon J Horowitz - which I recommend BTW for anyone wishing to learn about the Ghetto.

I would like to know where he came from, what it was that qualified him for such an important job. Also, how did he die?
I have found a rather grisly account in a footote of the article below, which alleges that Rumkowski was thrown alive into a "burning pit" at Auschwitz.
http://motlc.wiesenthal.com/site/pp.asp ... G&b=395095
Footnote 40
In an article written for Commentary magazine, Michael Checinski alleged that Rumkowski, along with the Chief of the Jewish Police, Leon Rosenblat, were killed in this manner by an underworld figure named Moishe the Chasid. Michael Checinski, "How Rurnkowski Died," Com- mentary (May 1979): 63-65.
I don't know how accurate this is, I have heard different stories of Rumkowski's death, either that he was gassed in Auschwitz, or killed en-route by fellow Jews. I don't know if Rozenblatt met the same fate.

As always, I appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Kind regards,
"If I looked like Himmler, I wouldn't go on about race so much"
- Albert Forster, Gauleiter Danzig West Prussia

history1
Banned

Re: Leon Rozenblatt - Lodz Ghetto Police Chief

Post by history1 » 27 Nov 2011, 18:30

Last winter I read the outstanding Chronicle of the Litzmannstadt Ghetto. Sadly I don´t own those books but I found some info about your man:
Rozenblat, Leon
Bankdirektor/Kommandant des O.D., Mitglied im Bankrat, Mitglied des FUKR; geb. 1892/1894 in Stanisławów, wohnhaft in Łódź vor dem Krieg, dep. nach Auschwitz, gest. 1944 in Auschwitz.

Leon Rozenblat
Bank Director/ Commander of the Ordnungsdienst (jewish Police), member of the bank council, member of the Fach - und Kontrollrat ( business and supervision council), born 1892 or 1894 in Stanisławów (Iwano-Frankiwsk, Ukraine), before WWII resident in Łódź, deportated to Auschwitz, died there in 1944.

Source: http://www.getto-chronik.de/de/person/rozenblat-leon

Heimwehr Danzig, I know it´s not much but its better then nothing ;-)

wm

Re: Leon Rozenblatt - Lodz Ghetto Police Chief

Post by wm » 27 Nov 2011, 23:58

history1 wrote: born 1892 or 1894 in Stanisławów
According to his school (a secondary school in Stanisławów) report , the former is correct:
It seems his desirable career choice was medicine.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”