OOB for Berlin 1945

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
SergioDV

OOB for Berlin 1945

Post by SergioDV » 04 Mar 2012, 00:23

Looking in the net I've found this German order of battle for Berlin 1945. Unfortunately there's no source. In your opinion, this info is reliable?
LVI. Panzer.Korps commanded by General Helmuth Weidling. Divisions directly reporting to the Korps were:

Panzer-Division Müncheberg commanded by Generalmajor d. R.Werner Mummert,

9. Fallschirmjäger-Division commanded by Oberst Harry Herrmann,

18. Panzergrenadier-Division commanded by Generalmajor Joseph Rauch,

20. Panzergrenadier-Division commanded by Generalmajor Georg Scholze,

and 11. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division commanded by SS-Brigadeführer Dr. Gustav Krukenberg.

Attached to the 11. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division were the following units: Französisches Freiwilligen-Sturm-Bataillon "Charlemagne" (approx 350 men) commanded by SS-Hauptsturmführer Henri Joseph Fenet,

Schwere SS-Panzer-Abteilung 503 commanded by SS-Sturmbannführer Friedrich Herzig, "

Bataillon "Großadmiral Dönitz" (approx 80 sailors) commanded by Commander Franz Kuhlmann.

Other units fighting in Berlin but not under direct control of LVI. Panzer-Korps were: Wachregiment " Großdeutschland " commanded by Major Lehnhoff,

15. Lettisches SS-Füsilier-Bataillon (defending the Air Ministry building) commanded by SS-Untersturmführer Neilands,

57th Fortress Regiment commanded by Major Funk. Reporting to the 57th Fortress Regiment were the 3/115 Siemensstadt Volkssturm Bataillon (approx 770 men) and 3/121 Volkssturm-Bataillon.

The main Luftwaffe unit was the 1. Flak-Division "Berlin" commanded by Generalmajor Otto Sydow. The three Flak towers reported to the 1. Flak-Division.

Other SS units were: SS-Wachbataillon (mot) "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler" (approx 2000 men) commanded by SS-Brigadeführer Wilhelm Mohnke. Also reporting to Mohnke's command were the Führer-Begleit-Kommando (approx 40 men) these were Hitler's personal SS staff (cooks, drivers, clerks), and the SS-Wachbataillon Reichsführer-SS (approx 600 men).

Add to this force the Hitlerjugend Regiment commanded by Obergebietsführer Dr. Schlunder (approx 5000 members of the Berlin Hitler Youth no connection with the 12th SS Division. Part of this Hitler Youth unit was a unit known as Fortress Anti-Tank Unit III Berlin commanded by Major Theodor Baechle these were Hitler Youth boys mounted on bicycles armed with Panzerfausts.

There was a unit called the SS-Regiment Anhalt its last commander was a SS-Sturmbannführer Wahl and the regiment was made up of the Berlin contingent of the Allgemeine SS. They reported directly to SS-Brigadeführer Wilhelm Mohnke. The SS-Wachbataillon RFSS was not drawn from Das Reich. It was Himmler's personal 600 man bodyguard and was given to Hitler by SS-Gruppenführer Professor Dr. Karl Gebhardt who was Himmler's personal physician. Hitler immediately gave this unit to Mohnke to bolster the defense of the Zitadel sector.
http://hjandvolksturm.devhub.com/blog/5 ... le-berlin/
----

Yes, I'm just 27 years old.

RFVD11

Re: OOB for Berlin 1945

Post by RFVD11 » 04 Mar 2012, 15:59

Did the 1.Flakdivision have the honor title "Berlin" or are you taking liberties here?
Thanks,

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 04 Mar 2014, 09:14

I see SergioDV quoted exactly as the blog stated. It reads [The main Luftwaffe unit was the 1st Flak-Division "Berlin" commanded by Generalmajor Otto Sydow. The three Flak towers reported to the 1st Flak-Division]

http://hjandvolksturm.devhub.com/blog/5 ... le-berlin/

Further in Race for the Reichstag: The 1945 Battle for Berlin By Tony Le Tissier he states on Page 13 .. [1st 'Berlin' Flak Division]

Also polishgreatness.blogspot.com/2011/04/battle-of-berlin-hell-on-earth.html quotes 1st 'Berlin' Flak Division .

Although in official documents, nowhere is 'Berlin' added, I believe SergioDv has not taken liberties.

respectfully

Germanicus

AHK

Post by AHK » 04 Mar 2014, 15:15

I thought there were more than 2 Volkssturm-Bataillone defending Berlin.
AHK

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 16 Apr 2014, 14:58

Dear AHK there was, 200 Volkssturm-Bataillons were earmarked for the defence of Berlin, however only 92 are credited.

Most respectfully

Mark
Additional Information in relation to The Battle of Berlin

2. The Volkssturm. Numerically, the Volkssturm was by far the strongest component of the defense forces. Generalleutnant Reymann listed its strength at 92 battalions (60,000 men), of which about 30 battalions, according to his report, were moved into the forward defense position. Remnants of these forces may have been swept back into Berlin.

The Hitler Youth. Besides participating in the fighting as flak auxiliaries and in small groups attached to the regular troops and the Volkssturm, the Hitler Youth were organized into their own battalions. Some battalions were combined to form the Axmann Brigade and were engaged in antitank operations east of the forward defense position. They were armed with rifles and Panzerfaeuste.

The total strength of the Hitler Youth in Berlin is not known. In the western part of the city some battalions were fighting under the Reich Youth Leader in the radio tower sector and near Pichelsdorf, where they held a bridgehead. Enthusiastic fighting spirit only partly made up for lack of weapons and training.

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/onl ... efberl.htm

92 Volksturm-bataillones are noted for the defense of the city. Does anyone have a more substantive list of the Volkssturm than I have listed so far?
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 5&start=60

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 30 Apr 2019, 15:02

Detailed OOB of the 1. Flak-Division (Berlin) and location of units as of 15 April 1945:
http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/ru/n ... ect/zoom/8
http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/pages/863078/map

Leo Niehorster

Post by Leo Niehorster » 01 May 2019, 08:07

Thanks for the interesting link, especially for the 1. Flak-Division! :D

How do I download a complete high-resolution image?
It appears to be in bits and pieces, like a map layout. 0-1, 1-2, etc.

--
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 03 May 2019, 12:12

I wish I knew it myself. As far as I can see right now "zoom 8" is the highest resolution you can download as a file.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”