Potsdamer Platz

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Cor

Potsdamer Platz

Post by Cor » 17 Mar 2012 14:06

Besides my fascination for the area of the reichschancellery, i always been interested in the area of the potsdamer platz, because of the many changes took place.

I'm always wandering if the s-bahn entrance i indicated with an arrow are the same s-bahn entrances? I always thought this because of the "old look" of this entrance. Maybe im completely wrong but is there anybody who knows more.

in the chancellery thread there a made some nice overlays, maybe i or somebody else can do this with the potsdamer platz area, but then we must have a good image of the situation at 1945.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robertmountfor

Re: Potsdamer Platz

Post by robertmountfor » 17 Mar 2012 14:28

Hello Cor, here are two pics, one of Pts Plz Ubhf I took in 1990.
As you can see, Wilhelmstrasse was not so busy then.....!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robertmountfor

Post by robertmountfor » 17 Mar 2012 14:31

And in this old Kodak montage of two pictures, the remains of Prinzalbrechtstrasse Headquarters.

Red star

Post by Red star » 17 Mar 2012 17:40

Metamorphosises occured with the Potsdam area too where always interesting to me.

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 18 Mar 2012 04:49

I would particularly like to see an overlay or map of where Turk's King Tiger stood in relation to today's Potsdamer Platz. I have recent (i.e. 2011) photos of Potsdamer Platz if that makes the job easier.

Red star

Post by Red star » 18 Mar 2012 08:09

Mannheim wrote:I would particularly like to see an overlay or map of where Turk's King Tiger stood in relation to today's Potsdamer Platz. I have recent (i.e. 2011) photos of Potsdamer Platz if that makes the job easier.
The tank of the Turk stood near east wall Pschorr-Haus.

Red star

Post by Red star » 18 Mar 2012 08:12

Other foreshortening.

Red star

Post by Red star » 18 Mar 2012 08:20

The tank supposedly stood about here.

Red star

Post by Red star » 18 Mar 2012 08:23

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 18 Mar 2012 09:50

Thanks, Red Star. Just what I wanted. I was under the impression that there was once a Potsdamer Bahnhof - as opposed to the U Bahn - and that the Turk King Tiger stood in front of it. I'm guessing that the tank stood some 100 metres or so (arrowed) behind the Bahnhof Potsdamer Platz in the photo I took last year. Any ideas?

Red star

Post by Red star » 18 Mar 2012 10:35

Mannheim wrote: Any ideas?
Probably not much further.About here.

Fait Accompli

Post by Fait Accompli » 18 Mar 2012 12:28

Mannheim wrote:Thanks, Red Star. Just what I wanted. I was under the impression that there was once a Potsdamer Bahnhof - as opposed to the U Bahn - and that the Turk King Tiger stood in front of it.
There was a Potsdamer Bahnhof and I believe it's labeled as 33 on that map, so the tank stood very close to it. The new Potsdamer Bahnhof is below ground, under the large canopy.

Cor

Post by Cor » 18 Mar 2012 13:27

So this is the same entrance as pointed out in my google earth image in the first post?

i ask this because i ve read somewhere else that maybe the covered entrance in the google earth image just a bit to the left could be the same entrance.

Red star

Post by Red star » 18 Mar 2012 20:39

Cor wrote:So this is the same entrance as pointed out in my google earth image in the first post?
Yes,certainly.This input interests only?

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 19 Mar 2012 00:44

It certainly interests me. Perhaps a silly question: in Cor's first photo of the Berlin Wall, what are those steps leading down in front of the Wall, directly in front of the writing? Also, does anyone know what the survivng NS buildings in the background are? I have photos I took over the Wall in 1977 and those buidings predominate.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”