Dunkirk Stop Order

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
ladycplum

Dunkirk Stop Order

Post by ladycplum » 02 Apr 2012, 03:59

What if Hitler hadn't ordered Rundstedt and the rest of the Panzer divisions to stop and allow the Luftwaffe to finish off the BEF and the remainder of the French forces?

On another note, being both a WWII and Titanic buff, Titanic's 2nd officer Charles Lightoller and his son used their private yacht to help in the evacuation. (Please don't delete my post for going a bit off-top Mr. Moderator(s)!)
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

waldzee
Banned

Re: Dunkirk Stop Order

Post by waldzee » 02 Apr 2012, 08:06

ladycplum wrote:What if Hitler hadn't ordered Rundstedt and the rest of the Panzer divisions to stop and allow the Luftwaffe to finish off the BEF and the remainder of the French forces?

On another note, being both a WWII and Titanic buff, Titanic's 2nd officer Charles Lightoller and his son used their private yacht to help in the evacuation. (Please don't delete my post for going a bit off-top Mr. Moderator(s)!)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The panzer divisions were increasingly vulnerable to cruiser fire within 10 miles of the coasthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5%22/51_caliber_gun

bf109 emil

Post by bf109 emil » 02 Apr 2012, 09:52

ladycplum wrote:What if Hitler hadn't ordered Rundstedt and the rest of the Panzer divisions to stop and allow the Luftwaffe to finish off the BEF and the remainder of the French forces?

Hitler never ordered nor did he authorize his panzer forces to pursue the BEF to the coast firstly, this was done by zealous field marshalls to begin with, thus Hitlers stop order was more of a show of command and whom was in charge...

Dunserving

Post by Dunserving » 02 Apr 2012, 11:56

And with an apology to any particularly zealous mods..........

Lightoller's vessel is still afloat and seaworthy. It is in Ramsgate harbour and can be visited. Google "Sundowner yacht" for details.
Should you ever cross the Atlantic ladycplum, Ramsgate is just to north of Dover and Sundowner is worth a visit.

Easy for me to say - I'm only a few miles from it!

James A Pratt III

Post by James A Pratt III » 06 Apr 2012, 01:48

Hitler was not entirely to blame for the stop order. Von Rundstedt wanted it and Hitler okayed it. the British official history points out the terrain around Dunkirk was cut up with canals and not good tank country. Also the wear and tear on the Panzers had been extensive and they needed some down time to do maintenance. I also understand the Germans underestimated the number of Allied troops at Dunkirk, overestimated what the Luftwaffe could do, and may not have realized how close their troops were to Dunkirk. Then there is the rest of the French army to the south to deal with.

ladycplum

Post by ladycplum » 06 Apr 2012, 03:39

I think after the early success of the Luftwaffe during the blitz on Poland (who were valiant fighters but completely outmatched technologically) there was A LOT of overestimation as to what they could handle. Göring and the top Luftwaffe chiefs never seemed to keep anything in reserve, they always threw everything they had at the enemies, which is why they became stretched so thin as the war escalated and the territory of the Reich expanded.
Last edited by Dieter Zinke on 10 Apr 2012, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Göring - not Goering !
"The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand"-Paul Weller

waldzee
Banned

Post by waldzee » 06 Apr 2012, 04:08

ladycplum wrote:I think after the early success of the Luftwaffe during the blitz on Poland (who were valiant fighters but completely outmatched technologically) there was A LOT of overestimation as to what they could handle. Göring and the top Luftwaffe chiefs never seemed to keep anything in reserve, they always threw everything they had at the enemies, which is why they became stretched so thin as the war escalated and the territory of the Reich expanded.
================================================
Until France & the low countries could be 'milked' the war was conductged on a real shoestring by the Third Reich .
Its is important not to underestimate the ability of the British & French Cruisers to lay down 'curtain fire' on coastal Armor formations.

Return to “What if”