Molins gun question

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
karlik

Molins gun question

Post by karlik » 31 Oct 2012, 18:00

Hi!
Tell me please, what kind of Molins gun?

I know that these guns mounted on Mosquito fighter-bomber anb motor torpedo boat. Here the gun on a gun carriage of anti-tank gun. What is this? А prototype?

Ex Fred

Re: Molins gun question

Post by Ex Fred » 31 Oct 2012, 21:01

Could it be a carriage for when the weapon is not fitted to the aircraft

A QF 6-pounder 7-cwt anti-tank gun on its carriage in front of a De Havilland Mosquito Mark XVIII 'Tstetse' of No. 248 Squadron RAF Special Detachment, which mounts a similar weapon, minus the carriage and fitted with automatic loader, in its nose, (note the protruding barrel). This version was also known as the 'Molins gun' after its manufacturer. Location of the photograph is Portreath, Cornwall.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 01 Nov 2012, 13:56

Fed, if that were the answer I'd have expected a single-trail rather than the split trail we can see in the original pic? This does look as if it's intended to fire from the split-trail.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 01 Nov 2012, 15:09

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Molins.htm
In order to meet a perceived need for a rapid-reaction vehicle-mounted anti-tank gun, the notion was developed of fitting the 6pdr 7cwt with an autoloading mechanism and mounting it in a fast, armoured tank destroyer. The Molins Machinery Company (previously mainly noted for making cigarette manufacturing machinery) duly designed and produced a suitable mechanism. By the time it emerged, however, it had been realised that the 6pdr was not powerful enough to defeat the new Tiger tank so the British Army dropped its requirement.
In your pic it does look as if the split trail is clamped together. Possibly just using the spare early carriages instead of bothering developing anything else?
Last edited by phylo_roadking on 01 Nov 2012, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....

Ex Fred

Post by Ex Fred » 01 Nov 2012, 15:31

That was sort of what I was thinking as it appears to be connected to a tractor/tug as well as having the trails clamped together.

I had a look at that article but did not see any mention of a ground use mount being developed and built although I would have assumed something would have been.

The carriage itself looks like a standard 6 pdr carriage (although i do not know the version).

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 01 Nov 2012, 15:48

http://www.risboroughu3a.org.uk/reports ... RY&Rpt=361
During the 1939 – 1945 World War, the majority of Molins’ activities were directed to the development and manufacture of armaments. These ranged from field gun loaders to flare guns. The most notable was probably what became known as the “Molins Gun”. This was intended to be a seven pounder anti-tank gun and while it did see service in the North African campaign, adaptations were adopted by the Navy and the RAF. The latter ingeniously fitting the gun into the de Havilland Mosquito (“Tsetse”) aircraft for use against tanks and U-boats.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 01 Nov 2012, 15:49

REALLY stupid question now...

What would "normal" a 6-pdr without muzzle brake, gun shield and with a Molins autoloader fitted...look like? ;)

Because....
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205210612
A QF 6-pounder 7-cwt anti-tank gun on its carriage in front of a De Havilland Mosquito Mark XVIII 'Tstetse' of No. 248 Squadron RAF Special Detachment, which mounts a similar weapon, minus the carriage and fitted with automatic loader, in its nose, (note the protruding barrel). This version was also known as the 'Molins gun' after its manufacturer. Location of the photograph is Portreath, Cornwall.
Looking again at it - the rather Heath Robinson arrangement of a bit of girder plus some Dexion to hold the autoloader in place

A/ looks a bit naff, and

B/ isn't present on the museum piece ;)

This looks more like a "posed" cdemonstration pic for the camera after a few hours work by the fitters :)

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”