Afrika-Korps cuff ties

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
jeeplover

Afrika-Korps cuff ties

Post by jeeplover » 21 Nov 2012 03:56

there are two types of Afrika-Kkorps cuff ties what is the meaning of them ? i know the brown one means 6 months of servie what does the other one mean?

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Afrika-Korps cuff ties

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 21 Nov 2012 04:34

You asking about these??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeeplover

Post by jeeplover » 21 Nov 2012 04:39

yes those what is the different meaning of those ? i know the first one is for 6 moths of combat .the second on does it have any special meaning

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 21 Nov 2012 06:31

Hello,

There were two different types of armbands - campaign/battle related and unit related.
The "Afrika" (like "Kreta", "Kurland" etc...) were worn on the left sleeve while the "Afrikakorps" unit cufftitle was worn on the right sleeve like "Grossdeutschland" etc...

/Christoph

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 21 Nov 2012 11:09

The 'Afrika' campaign cufftitle (or Afrika with palms as it's sometimes known) was awarded to all personel stationed in North Africa for 6 months or more, there are other versions in dark blue without palms for use by the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine. Of interest is that on his surrender SS-Staf. Walter Rauff was photographed wearing the 'Afrika' cufftitle on his leather greatcoat, he was the head of the SD Einsatzkommado Tunis ... the only SS unit to serve in North Afrika.

The 'Afrikakorps' cufftitle was issued to all German members of Panzer-Armee Afrika or the 'Afrika-Korps'.

Ian

jeeplover

Post by jeeplover » 22 Nov 2012 01:12

thank you i am asking my friend has a Afrika-Korps tunic and it has the second example on the sleeve.it is a Luftwaffe flak 88 gunner.and he had no need for the 2nd cuff tie he has acquired so i am going to buy it from him .i was looking in a book and seen the brown one and was just curious about the difference . as always you guys have been very helpful thank you

HaEn
In memoriam

Post by HaEn » 22 Nov 2012 05:16

Christoph Awender wrote:Hello,
There were two different types of armbands - campaign/battle related and unit related.
The "Afrika" (like "Kreta", "Kurland" etc...) were worn on the left sleeve while the "Afrikakorps" unit cufftitle was worn on the right sleeve like "Grossdeutschland" etc...
/Christoph
Grüsse ! Christoph !.
you beat me to it with the right explanation.
Glad to see that you are still around.
Hugo N.

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”