Schalldämpfer 254(f)

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
Rivet

Schalldämpfer 254(f)

Post by Rivet » 18 Feb 2013, 00:17

I recently saw one of the "Kennblätter Fremden Geräts" documents that covers a silencer for the Mosin-Nagant rifle. It was re-designated the Schalldämpfer 254(f). I don't recall ever seeing a suppress Mosin rifle in period photos.

Anyone know more about these devices? How were they issued in Soviet service?

Thanks. :)
"Good actions ennoble us, and we are the sons of our deeds."—Miguel de Cervantes

StefanSiverud

Re: Schalldämpfer 254(f)

Post by StefanSiverud » 24 Feb 2013, 19:29

It probably says "Schalldämpfer 254(r)" denoting Russian origin (f is for France), and in that case it would be the Soviet-made S40 suppressor.

Rivet

Post by Rivet » 25 Feb 2013, 00:48

Yes, you are correct in that it should be "r". Typographic/block'n'copy error on my part. What can you tell me about the S40 suppressor? I didn't turn up much via google.

Thanks much. :)
"Good actions ennoble us, and we are the sons of our deeds."—Miguel de Cervantes

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 26 Feb 2013, 04:31

I don't know much, Soviet guns are not really my thing (yet). You may have better luck googling for Glushitel S-40 (Suppressor S-40), but most results are in Russian. I found two results of some use:
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/QA6.html close to the bottom of the page
http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthr ... arms/page4

I also read that Lauri Törni used a suppressed rifle during one mission behind enemy lines in the second half of 1942, using the rifle to kill a truck driver, but in the books I have the make and model is not specified. It's likely to have been an S-40 type suppressor, either Soviet-made or a Finnish copy. He had rounds especially made, taking standard 7.62x53R ammo and replacing the gunpowder with that from 7,65 mm Parabellum cartridges. The range and accuracy suffered quite a bit, obviously. This was supposedly the first troop trial according to what I've read, but although likely it's hard to say if that's true.

Finland made about half a million factory loaded rounds of downloaded 7.62x53R for use in suppressed rifles (probably after the Törni trial), according to this site: http://guns.connect.fi/gow/kysvast18.html (same as above but an extended Finnish version).

Perhaps someone else will be of more use?

Rivet

Post by Rivet » 27 Feb 2013, 04:25

Thank you so much for the information and links. It is most appreciated. :)

JTV

Post by JTV » 04 Mar 2013, 23:23

I very much doubt Törni played such a key role in this matter. If the source is story provided by P.T. Kekkonen, one he had excellent knowledge about weapons and ammunition, certain stories need to be taken with a grain of salt:
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane3.html

Key points from "Military Small Arms in Finland 1918 - 1988 by Palokangas, Part 2 pages 156 - 158:

Finnish military captured had learned about Soviet silencer for Mosin-Nagant rifle in POW interviews in autumn of 1941. Silencer was about 20-mm and contained two thick rubber gaskets which were replaced after 70 shots. The silencer was used with special ammunition, which had its own bullet design and due to reduced powder charge had effective range less than 300 meters. Several silencers were captured in December 1941 - January 1942 and proved that the earlier received data had been reliable. Finnish military considered the design useful for own long range recon units, so January of 1942 exact blueprints were reverse engineered from captured silencers and order of 250 silencers sent to Weapons Depot 1. All necessary parts for these 250 silencers (including 12,000 rubber gaskets for them) were manufactured and delivered by April of 1942. This Finnish copy was otherwise a exact copy of the Soviet design, but manufacturing-quality wise it was superior (better fit & finnish) and table of sight settings for various shooting distances had been engraved to side of the silencer. 2nd order of 250 silencers was made in April of 1942 and was delivered by end of 1943. While silencers of the 1st order were all designed to be used with M/91 and M/91-30 rifles, most of the silencers of 2nd order were modified version designed to be used with rifle M/39 and used its bayonet attachment as support point. These silencers saw limited use with Finnish troops, but due to poor shooting accuracy and need of special ammunition were not particularly popular. Apparently they didn't see any post-war use. Year 1944 Finnish military learned also about better Soviet silence design introduced in 1943, but this did not lead to any Finnish development.

Attached structural drawing of the silencer version for M/91 and M/91-30 rifles. Parts:
1 Metal casing
2 Attachment plug
3 Front plug
4 Middle plug
5 Rubber gasket (2 pcs)

Jarkko
Attachments
Finnish_silencer_for_M91_and_M9130.jpg
Finnish silencer for M91 and M39 rifles.
Finnish_silencer_for_M91_and_M9130.jpg (76.04 KiB) Viewed 1553 times

Return to “Small Arms”