How and when did von Mackensen die?

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
hselassi

How and when did von Mackensen die?

Post by hselassi » 01 Jul 2013, 05:52

As I was reading some of the posts on v. Mackensen, I noticed that there was no information on his death. I believe it was in Saxony in Nov 45, but one webpage had it in Mar 45. I have heard that he died escaping the Soviets (not shot, but rather because of the rigors of travel), which would put his death prior to Jun 45 (when the Soviets consolidated their power in E Germany). I am hoping somebody can provide the correct information (if information of his last months is available, that would be a plus).

Ruhrpottpreusse

Re: How and when did von Mackensen die?

Post by Ruhrpottpreusse » 01 Jul 2013, 19:03

Hello!
Generalfeldmarschall August von Mackensen died 8th november 1945 in Burghorn (near Celle, Niedersachsen in the north of Germany), while escaping from the Red Army.
His grave is on the Stadtfriedhof (municipal cemetery) in Celle.
April 13th, 1945 british soldiers conquered Burghorn, where v. Mackensen lived at this time.
First the soldiers didn´t know, who he was, but they stole a lot of things in that house. Later a friendly gentleman-officer appeared. They were puzzled because of the skullheads of his uniforms, so he had to explain, that these were from the great war. v. Mackensen and his staff had to give away their weapons and binoculars, but they could held their sabres.
He stil wore the uniform of the 1.bodyhussards.
He spoke his last words to colonel v. Gersdorff-Cunersdorf:"You see an old man ride away, as long as I have control of my mind, I want to say good-bye to you."
He passed away 8th november, 1945 at 2:55 pm. He was laid to rest 12th november at 1:00 pm in Burghorn.
The worst thing that happened, that the allied refused a burial with military honour. His adjutant wasn´t allowed to wear a cavalry-uniform. His marshals baton and his decorations weren´t shown.
He is buried under a simple stone-cross
Attachments
44jvxup.jpg

hselassi

Re: How and when did von Mackensen die?

Post by hselassi » 07 Jul 2013, 04:56

Ruhrpottpreusse thank you very much for the information. When I read Saxony I thought they meant Royal Saxony, not Lower Saxony. At least he escaped the Soviets, pity about the funeral, while he was linked to the 3rd Reich, he was a nationalist, not a Nazi, and criticized the illegal behavior of the military several times.

Return to “Imperial Germany”