What color were Feng Yuxiang's armbands?

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Sinophile

What color were Feng Yuxiang's armbands?

Post by Sinophile » 23 Aug 2013, 02:04

From the evidence I have seen, Feng Yuxiang's soldiers wore several different types of armbands. I will list the ones I have seen:

1) The white-disc on red background with "Feng" character. Typically seen on left sleeve.
2) The white-disc on red background with characters saying "Vow to save the nation. Really loving. Not disturbing." Typically seen on left sleeve and more oval in shape due to so many characters.
3) The white-disc on blue background with characters saying "Not disturbing. Vow to save the nation. Really loving." This is more of a patch than an armband, typically seen on the right sleeve.
4) The white-disc on blue background with "National Army" characters. Typically seen on left(?) sleeve.
5) The Nationalist blue/white sun emblem on a square patch (unknown color) worn on right sleeve. There is a two-color armband worn around this patch. Red and white possibly?

I mostly am concerned about #5. I would like to know what colors were present. If I were to guess, I would imagine the blue/white sun emblem was on a red background patch. And then the two-color armband was white and red, with the red being the bottom color so as not to interfere with the red from the background patch. I could be wrong however.

Also, was the two-color armband to symbolize partnership with Zhang Zuolin's Fengtien Clique?

See some pics below for the colors I need identified.
Attachments
Troop Train.jpg
FENG YU HSIANG.jpg
FENG YU HSIANG.jpg (74.02 KiB) Viewed 809 times

Sinophile

Re: What color were Feng Yuxiang's armbands?

Post by Sinophile » 24 Aug 2013, 16:04

Here is another pic of the armband on some female troops.

Notice the different ways they wore this particular armband. Some show the two-colors going under the nationalist patch, others show the two-colors as not being an armband at all, but more of a patch below the nationalist one. Very interesting.
Attachments
female warlord soldiers.jpg
female warlord soldiers.jpg (175.78 KiB) Viewed 772 times

Sinophile

Post by Sinophile » 24 Aug 2013, 16:24

Unrelated to the armbands, I would like to point out some other curious things about this photo.

Some wear identification patches. See item 1. in pic.

Some have something white in or around their sam browne belt. See item 2. in pic.

Some have very dark pocket flaps. I thought at first the pockets were opened or soiled, but they almost look black or a darker shade at least. See item 3. in pic.

Perhaps they were attending a funeral or a church service? One of the male soldiers is wearing white gloves...
Attachments
female troop items.jpg
female troop items.jpg (99.03 KiB) Viewed 769 times

YC Chen
Host - Allied sections

Post by YC Chen » 23 Oct 2013, 11:15

Sorry did not see this earlier, but extremely interesting thread indeed...

However, we should remember that Feng Yuxiang and Zhang Zuolin were fierce enemies all their life.

YC Chen
Host - Allied sections

Post by YC Chen » 23 Oct 2013, 11:20

Sinophile wrote:Here is another pic of the armband on some female troops.

Notice the different ways they wore this particular armband. Some show the two-colors going under the nationalist patch, others show the two-colors as not being an armband at all, but more of a patch below the nationalist one. Very interesting.
These female troops were most probably political workers. As for the "two-colors" you mentioned, I have read that some NRA troops wore red-white-blue identification tags during the Northern Expedition. Maybe this is something like that?

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 28 Oct 2013, 06:27

Sinophile wrote:Unrelated to the armbands, I would like to point out some other curious things about this photo.

Some wear identification patches. See item 1. in pic.

Some have something white in or around their sam browne belt. See item 2. in pic.

Some have very dark pocket flaps. I thought at first the pockets were opened or soiled, but they almost look black or a darker shade at least. See item 3. in pic.

Perhaps they were attending a funeral or a church service? One of the male soldiers is wearing white gloves...
In re item # 3, I respectfully don't think that the pocket flaps are a different color. I think that certain of the individuals are carrying a dark colored object (probably a book) in their pockets and it is tall enough to peek out. (That definitely seems to be the case with the individuals on the far right and in the center of the picture -- you can see their breast pockets are bulging from the mass contained in them.)

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”