Heer Unit identification (R75 and Sidecar)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
cnicoll123

Heer Unit identification (R75 and Sidecar)

Post by cnicoll123 » 02 Nov 2013, 02:47

Looking around, found a photo in my collection of sorts, German WH Obergefreiter receiving water and presumably bread from Russian/Eastern Country-folk.
Insignia on Sidecar would incline me to say sapper/engineering unit? If you can provide further reading e.g Wikipedia article, that'd be grand!
Connor Nicoll

Grenadier C.Nikel
1st SS Panzer Division "LSSAH" 3.Kp

Alanmccoubrey

Re: Heer Unit identification (R75 and Sidecar)

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 02 Nov 2013, 09:11

Propaganda-Kompanie 691 according to Christoph's wonderful site.

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/
Alan

timkoningskelp

Post by timkoningskelp » 03 Nov 2013, 16:03

Alan is correct: Propaganda-Kompanie 691. Additional information can be obtained from the white 'K' on the front fender of the motorcycle. It stands for 'Kleist', the commander of Panzergruppe 1 (units belonging to Panzergruppe 2, commanded by Guderain, had a white G painted on their vehicles, etc). These white letters were only used from 22 juni 1941 until the end of that year, so the picture has been taken during summer 1941. Since Panzergruppe 1 advanced through the Ukraine during the summer of 1941 the locals on the picture must be Ukrainian woman/men and the food they are handing out is bread with salt and water (local Ukrainian custom to welcome strangers). With some speculation it might even be possible to state the picture was taken west of Uman, given the relative lack of dust on the uniform and motorcycle (=beginning of campaign).

About halfway down this webpage is some additional information about PK691: http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... anda-R.htm (in German).

cnicoll123

Post by cnicoll123 » 03 Nov 2013, 18:27

Thankyou very much lads,

Greatly appreciate that, will be able to put in a note on the back of a printed-picture for my collection!

Just as well i asked you guys, the 'duck' and 'small-tank' insignia on the side-car would've directed me to water-related, engineer corps , as a duck would connote water and amphibious operations. And a 'mini-tank' would suggest engineering. Obviously wrong, and was part of the 'Propagana Kompanie' if i'm correct.

Cheers gents.
Connor Nicoll

Grenadier C.Nikel
1st SS Panzer Division "LSSAH" 3.Kp

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”