Waffen-SS Blood Group Tatoo

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Y Ddraig Goch

Waffen-SS Blood Group Tatoo

Post by Y Ddraig Goch » 01 May 2002, 14:30

Does ANYONE have a picture of a Waffen-SS Blood Group Tatoo?
/ Mike

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
Friedrich Nietzsche

Timo

Post by Timo » 01 May 2002, 15:13

Here we go again. There was not typical SS bloodgroup tattoo. Like HaEn said, just a tattood "A" or a "B" or "AB", etc. Nothing fancy. No standard letter type as it was often done hastily.

Cheers,
Timo

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 01 May 2002, 16:02

Was the tattooing kept until the end of war or was it abondoned in the middle of it?

HaEn
In memoriam

tattoo

Post by HaEn » 02 May 2002, 05:35

Its "engraving" was kept up right until the end. Getting rid of it was a hard job, just like any other tattoo. And thanks Timo. ! HN.

MadJim

bloodgroup

Post by MadJim » 04 May 2002, 16:12

I think he means was the process continued up until the end of the war. I have read that it was. Someone - I think a Dutch source printed in a book photos of some of the tatoos.

Later in the war any scarring of the left arm was considered suspicous - and those who had scars or wounds there were separated by the Americans for extra scrutiny. :mrgreen:

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 04 May 2002, 16:25

Thanks MadJim and HaEn.

So if the process was kept until the very end of war, were all memebrs tattooed or just those belong to german, aryan units like 1st, 5th, etc?

Were the draftees also tattooed?

Ovidius

Post by Ovidius » 04 May 2002, 16:32

Starinov wrote:german, aryan units like 1st, 5th, etc?
All SS units had to be "Aryan", since the only non-Aryan European peoples are the Magyars, Turks, Basques(even the Finns are said to be Aryan) and the number of those people in the SS was low, if any(except Magyars), and mixed among Germans in the units.

Just a little nit-picking :mrgreen:

~Ovidius

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 04 May 2002, 17:37

Ok, let's forget the term "aryan" here for the sake of simplicity.

:)

LAH

Post by LAH » 05 May 2002, 21:21

All SS units had to be "Aryan", since the only non-Aryan European peoples are the Magyars, Turks, Basques(even the Finns are said to be Aryan)

What about the 13th Waffen Gebirgs Div Der SS Handschar.
I Don't think they would qualify as Aryan!

HaEn
In memoriam

aryan ????

Post by HaEn » 06 May 2002, 01:06

The mythical ARYANS in the Waffen SS were few and far between in the last years of WWII . Besides Turks, Indians, some Asians, there were a mix from European countries that could not really be traced as Aryan. In our unit there was a soldier who could have been a poster boy for the movie the Eternal Jew; He had been a member of the party since 1934. The bloodgroup tattoo went under EVERYBODY's arm; blond, dark, or whatever. I thought the horse was dead, but obviously was wrong. :wink: HN.

rkoy

no HN

Post by rkoy » 06 May 2002, 02:50

i guess it isnt..not untill WE all see a pic of a blood group tatoo will WE allbe happy! so come on if ANYBODY knows or has one please share it with us....thanks rodney

MAX_theHitMan

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 21 Apr 2004, 13:58

Sorry to bring back out this "obscured " posting from awhile back, but I was also curous about this subject.

A few years ago I saw a documentary on TV about captured German troops in American prisons, right after the war, being given a check up under their arms for these "SS tattoos". Unfortunatly the documentary only explained the reasons the american GIs were looking for these specific tattoos. They were looking for possible trouble-makers from the SS, that when found were put aside for questioning.
BUT they didn´t show any of these "special" tattoos on the documentary.

I was curious as to what they looked like. I am NOT interested in seeing a photograph, but would rather content myself as to "know" what was exactly tattooed on it.
Did the specific tattoo had, like an "SS" figure, followed by that soldiers ID number and blood type?
Or Just a simple Blood type number?
...Or a simple ID number followed by a blood type marking?

I was curious about this.
For I have heard (never read or seen) that some "special" allied commandos also had a certain blood-type tattoo made on their arms. Is this also true?

Thanks for your information and time 8)
Cheers

MAX

Timo

Post by Timo » 21 Apr 2004, 14:58

Did you read the thread?
Timo Worst wrote:Here we go again. There was not typical SS bloodgroup tattoo. Like HaEn said, just a tattood "A" or a "B" or "AB", etc. Nothing fancy. No standard letter type as it was often done hastily.

MAX_theHitMan

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 21 Apr 2004, 15:12

Sorry @Timo Worst.
Thanks for the details. 8)

Oberst Mihael

Post by Oberst Mihael » 21 Apr 2004, 20:03

And this tattoo was basically there in case the soldier needed blood if he was shot, etc?

Why not tattoo any other troops, just the SS? I'm sure some soldats wouldn't mind that, seeing how it could have saved their lives.

cheers!

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”