Remaining Homes Of Former Top Nazis Today

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
dwseiple

Remaining Homes Of Former Top Nazis Today

Post by dwseiple » 04 May 2003, 05:00

Hello All!

Perhaps this topic has been asked before, but I would like to ask it anyway. Of all the top Nazis, are any of their homes still in existence today? I know the homes in Berchtesgaden are mostly all destroyed. How about Goring's childhood home in Rosenheim, does it still stand? Hitler's apartment in Munchen when Geli Raubel died, is it still standing? The childhood homes of Himmler, Heydrich, Udet, and Bormann, do they still exist? How about the homes of Goebbels, do any of them exist today?
Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

xcalibur

Re: Remaining Homes Of Former Top Nazis Today

Post by xcalibur » 04 May 2003, 15:57

dwseiple wrote:Hello All!

Perhaps this topic has been asked before, but I would like to ask it anyway. Of all the top Nazis, are any of their homes still in existence today? I know the homes in Berchtesgaden are mostly all destroyed. How about Goring's childhood home in Rosenheim, does it still stand? Hitler's apartment in Munchen when Geli Raubel died, is it still standing? The childhood homes of Himmler, Heydrich, Udet, and Bormann, do they still exist? How about the homes of Goebbels, do any of them exist today?
Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

To my knowledge:

Hitler's apartment (the building) at 16 Prinzregentenstrasse in Munich is still there.

Of Goebbels' home on Schwanenwerder in Berlin only the boathouse remains and is used as a headquarters for marine police.

Goring's childhood home Veldenstein Castle in Bavaria is still there and is used as a hotel. It had belonged to his god-father, a certain Ritter von Epstein, who left it to Goring when he died.

/fred[/list]

Warren Thompson

Remaining homes of Top Nazis

Post by Warren Thompson » 04 May 2003, 17:38

Hess was given a villa at Pullach, near Munich, that post-war became the headquarters for the Gehlen Org. Are any of the original buildings extant?

Matt Gibbs

Homes

Post by Matt Gibbs » 04 May 2003, 21:54

speer's specially constructed drawing office is still standing I recall it being a topic here before.
Regards
Matt Gibbs

ckleisch

Post by ckleisch » 05 May 2003, 00:29

Since, we are discussing buildings I have a curiosity about Goerings home which i beleive he called Karinhall. Does, this structure still exist and in what capacity is it now used?

Warren Thompson

Top Nazi's former homes ...

Post by Warren Thompson » 05 May 2003, 00:51

Goering had Carinhall blown up near the end of the war (it was in the path of the Soviet advance). As I understand it, little of this remains.
Thereafter he and his family decamped to his house in Berchtesgaden.

AvD

Post by AvD » 05 May 2003, 02:10

You will find recent pictures of Hitler's appartment and Eva Braun's house here:
http://www.thirdreichruins.com/munich.htm

There are a lot of pictures on this page, so maybe you'll have to be a little patient.

Gott

Re: Top Nazi's former homes ...

Post by Gott » 05 May 2003, 02:29

Warren Thompson wrote:Goering had Carinhall blown up near the end of the war (it was in the path of the Soviet advance). As I understand it, little of this remains.
Thereafter he and his family decamped to his house in Berchtesgaden.
Regarding the Karinhall, Goering was smart enough to empty out every valuable belongings in the house before the Russians came.

Geli

Post by Geli » 05 May 2003, 05:47

xcalibur wrote: To my knowledge:
Of Goebbels' home on Schwanenwerder in Berlin only the boathouse remains and is used as a headquarters for marine police.
Joseph Goebbels had about six houses. I read that he had two houses in the Lanke/Bogen See area. One of them, a one-story house, is still standing and there is a photo of it in the Goebbels biography written by David Irving. I also read that there were two houses in Schwanenwerder. First he bought one property, then later the property next to it. There is a red brick house in Schwanenwerder that is still standing but was remodelled. This may be part of what Xcalibur is referring to, because I heard that it was now a government-owned building. There was another home on Herman Goering Straße, which actually served as the Propaganda Ministry for a couple of weeks at the end of the war, after the Promi proper had been bombed. From what I've heard, this house no longer exists; I don't know if that's because of bomb damage or the Nazis-Slept-Here-Knock-It-Down policy. Dr. & Frau Goebbles also had an apartment in Berlin just after they got married. I do not know whether that building is still standing. Joseph Goebbels's boyhood home in Rhedyt is still there; a friend of mine went down that street once and saw it, but did not knock on the door. :wink:

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 05 May 2003, 07:40

Speer's personal house on the Obersalzberg is still intact, and in use as a private residence. His architectural studio just down the hill is being used by the company that is building the hotel on the former site of Goering's Obersalzberg house.

Some (most?) of the Pullach buildings are still there, in use by the German government. I believe the Bormann family also had a living area there (an underground facility, I believe).

Geoff Walden

AvD

Post by AvD » 05 May 2003, 10:36

Thanks for this information, Geoff.
Can you tell us a little bit more about Pullach? Is there a site with more information? Google gives most of the time information about Gehlen and Heß but following your post, I believed there must be something else.

Von Odine

Post by Von Odine » 02 Sep 2006, 11:02

Speer's boyhood/retirement home is still standing, I think it is in Heidelberg. It was designed by his father, also an architect, and somewhat remodled by Speer after Spandau. I have heard that Speer also bought and totally remodled a remote mountain cabin, no where near Obersatzberg, during his final decade.

Has anyone ever tried to locate the houses in America that Speer designed pro-bono for GIs during the Spandau years?

I wonder if the "private hands" that possess the Haus Speer on Obersalzberg are those of Albert Speer the Younger?

Kunstler
Banned

Post by Kunstler » 04 Sep 2006, 00:38

I remember watching a documentary some years back where former subordinates of Goebells were taken to back one of his homes to see it once more.

I distinctly remember that it had a window leading to the patio that was lowered electrically into the floor so that access to outside was unhindered.
At the time I thought that it was a similar idea to the picture window on the berghof, and wondered who had the idea first?

I cannot remember much else about the documentary other than the amazement of the former Goebells employee when he pushed the button to lower the window and - "It still works!" he exclaimed.

I would be interested to know which house this was, who had the lowering window idea first, and what is the house used for now?

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 14 Jun 2008, 04:30

Hermann W. Goering's house in 1954 being destroyed. I have never seen this one before. Nice vintage image.

Johnny R.
Attachments
Goering Houses '54.jpg
Interesting old image of Goering's home after the war, Circa 1954.
Goering Houses '54.jpg (225.8 KiB) Viewed 16400 times

Von Odine

Post by Von Odine » 14 Jun 2008, 05:59

Leni Riefensthal's beautiful 1936 home stands in Berlin-Dalhem. Robert Ley's home, Nazi murals, swastika windows and all, still exists in Berlin. Last I knew, Hans Frank's house was still standing, abandoned, on the family property.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”