Tiger Ace

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
MICHAELM82

Tiger Ace

Post by MICHAELM82 » 05 May 2002, 07:12

Hi,
Saw this book on Wittman at a bookstore today and passed on buying it.I cant seem to find Agte's book on Wittman so how is Tiger Ace?
Any thoughts, worth the $35.00?
Mike

David C. Clarke

Tiger Ace

Post by David C. Clarke » 05 May 2002, 07:37

Hi Michael, if this is the Wittman book published by Schiffer Publishing Company, avoid it at all costs, even if it takes a while to find a copy of Agte. Trust me, I bought this book, took it home and returned it the next day. The Schiffer book is full of spelling and grammatical errors and the writing is laughable. Check it out before you purchase, if it's the same book, you'll notice the problems in the first ten pages. Best Regards, David :D
Last edited by David C. Clarke on 05 May 2002, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 05 May 2002, 09:04

I agree with David, as with all their books they don't edit or proofread anything and this one is really bad. You can also find their books anywhere for less than retail price.

Mark

MICHAELM82

Post by MICHAELM82 » 06 May 2002, 06:52

David and Mark
Thanks so much for the tip, I will surely put it off.It is the Schiffer one by Williamson.Even glancing through it I had a bad felling about it!
Will hunt for the one by Agte!
Best
Mike

Erich

Post by Erich » 07 May 2002, 16:53

Schiffer books in general.........photos have been re-scanned very badly and are very dark........period ! Case in point are the JG 53 volumes by Dr. Jochen Prien who was very reluctant in the first place to have them translated.

E

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 08 May 2002, 21:34

If It Is 'Tiger Ace' by Gary L Simpson the biggest fault in it is the completely wrong version of the action at Villers-Bocage,Wittmanns greatest triumph. Simpson has used out of date information(the old 'Wittmann with 4 Tigers and a mk IV special' story as I call it) as a basis and added lots of bogus 'thoughts and sayings' of Wittmann to pad out a story mostly the result of Simpsons imagination. No full account of this action has been written yet.All the books published so far on Villers have some form of error in them.Both Agte and Taylor whilst doing a great deal to further our understanding of this battle commit to print mistakes that now become 'fact' by the nature of the Authors reputation.

Matt Gibbs

Schiffer

Post by Matt Gibbs » 11 May 2002, 00:32

well, I am glad I haven't bought that book, though I saw it recently.

I did think about having a look at it but when I saw the price I thought I would hold out for something else more in my interests at the moment.

Anyone care to review the other Wittman book for us..?

The few books on the Luftwaffe I have from Schiffer struck me as being quite good, perhaps because they are older..?

Regards

Matt G

Erich

Post by Erich » 11 May 2002, 00:59

Matt :

Which books on the Luftwaffe if I can ask ?

6 months to Oblivion..........photos are too dark as are the volumes on JG 53 by Dr. Jochen Prien.

E

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”