Movie about Michael Wittman's military career ?

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 22 May 2003, 06:43

but there's no need to glorify the Waffen-SS men
Timo, there is need to glorify WSS as much as 101, 82, soviet snipers, marines, etc. You know war is ulgy and WSS wasnt only military "unit" which commited some atrocities. One good example is how commonwealth soldiers treated 12th SS POWs. You can say what ever you want about what you think PanzerMeyer did (personally i think that Meyer was out of this action) but it is still very wrong what 12th SS soldiers got when they surrender.

And BTW i feel it is racisim to say that WSS dont need to glorify. If couple of guys do some ugly things does it mean that all WSS guys were murderers? Thats like if you say that all gypsies are criminials, beacause one of them have steeled your bike. Same with Somalis.

ps. Sorry my bad english

CHRISCHA

Post by CHRISCHA » 22 May 2003, 11:16

The allied nations that won the war are in the main in control of the film industry. They are aware there is a lot of mileage to be had of portraying the W-SS as criminals.

The way the world is, to show a film being sympathetic to the W-SS would put yourself on the line as being a Nazi sympathiser.

Those with an intrest in the W-SS are aware that many SS soldiers were not murderers. But, some were.

A man can have etreme political beleifs and be a good soldier. Perhaps these beleifs make him a good soldier. I am unaware that Wittmann didn't have complete agreement with ALL the policies of Nazi Germany.

Timo

Post by Timo » 22 May 2003, 14:04

CHRISCHA wrote:I am unaware that Wittmann didn't have complete agreement with ALL the policies of Nazi Germany.
...I am very suspicious about sources which claim that they know Wittmann's political motivations. As far as I know there is nothing constructive available about this topic. He could have been an ardent nazi or a closet communist. We simply don't know. But ardent nazi is what can be expected.

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 28 May 2003, 08:21

KalaVelka wrote:
but there's no need to glorify the Waffen-SS men
Timo, there is need to glorify WSS as much as 101, 82, soviet snipers, marines, etc. You know war is ulgy and WSS wasnt only military "unit" which commited some atrocities. One good example is how commonwealth soldiers treated 12th SS POWs. You can say what ever you want about what you think PanzerMeyer did (personally i think that Meyer was out of this action) but it is still very wrong what 12th SS soldiers got when they surrender.

And BTW i feel it is racisim to say that WSS dont need to glorify. If couple of guys do some ugly things does it mean that all WSS guys were murderers? Thats like if you say that all gypsies are criminials, beacause one of them have steeled your bike. Same with Somalis.

ps. Sorry my bad english

Yes it is wrong that 12th SS men were shot. It was also wrong that Canadian prisoners were taken behind of The Abbey D'Ardenne and shot in the back of the head as well, wether Meyer was responsible or not.

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 28 May 2003, 08:23

These men were murdered by 12th SS under Meyers Command. He was very much involved with many actions against the Canadians in the Summer of 44'.

Feldwebel_Steiner

Re:

Post by Feldwebel_Steiner » 15 Feb 2018, 23:44

Westwall wrote:Dont hold your breath for it.
Not as long as Jews control Hollywood.

Just have a look at these years Oscars. All Holocaust movies won.
Think that says it all. Same with Shindlers list.

Do you expect the Jews or Spielberg to produce a war movie starring a German SS Panzer Ace?
Yes, but the Germans would be unable to shoot straight and one US/Rus/Eng tank will destroy a panzer division. Wittmann will be portrayed as the devil incarnate (butchering women and children, burning down huts) before being blown up.

Feldwebel_Steiner

Re:

Post by Feldwebel_Steiner » 15 Feb 2018, 23:46

Timo wrote:
CHRISCHA wrote:I am unaware that Wittmann didn't have complete agreement with ALL the policies of Nazi Germany.
...I am very suspicious about sources which claim that they know Wittmann's political motivations. As far as I know there is nothing constructive available about this topic. He could have been an ardent nazi or a closet communist. We simply don't know. But ardent nazi is what can be expected.
Moot point. What cannot be denied (and more importantly) is his ability and loyalty as a soldier

Sheldrake

Re: Re:

Post by Sheldrake » 16 Feb 2018, 00:10

Feldwebel_Steiner wrote:
Timo wrote:
Moot point. What cannot be denied (and more importantly) is his ability and loyalty as a soldier

Wittman's brother was alive at least until recently. A friend of mine met him visiting his brother's grave. The topic of Michael's motivations did not come up in conversation! Indeed his brother was surprised that British soldiers might visit his grave. By and large service in the SS still has a stigma. Its associated with membership of an extreme political party.

Given the resurgence of right wing extremeism in politics it would be very surprising if any film glorifying Wittman as a soldier could fail to become a symbol of support for the perverted ideas which the SS championed.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”