Hittler and Lutherans

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
erkonig

Hittler and Lutherans

Post by erkonig » 16 May 2003, 02:44

Was Hittler and the Thrid Reich against Lutherans?? And does anyone know if any high ranking Nazis were Lutheran? Thanks for the help.

lilpink03

Post by lilpink03 » 16 May 2003, 03:31

i dont know, i think he was a catholic (i have never bothered to read anything about hitler and religon)

i was a luthern, but i am trying to separate myself from the church, but i know i wanna know what hitler thought about it.

Gen. Erwin Rommel

Post by Gen. Erwin Rommel » 16 May 2003, 13:11

I think Hitler was Luthern, and i heard he was aganst catholics, but once hitler said to Erwin Rommel: " your god is to the weak, mine is for the strong" so i guess he tryed to be like a Pharaoh or the Japanese emperor, a kind of god in earth.

Blitzkreig

Post by Blitzkreig » 16 May 2003, 15:48

thats a very good question because i remember reading how when hitler came to power...the church was a very big political influence in germany and he tryed winning..successfully as it turns out....the church over the NAZI idealism side....hmm very good thougha dn diea going here though
-Brian

JariL

Lutheran church in Germany

Post by JariL » 16 May 2003, 16:25

Hi,

last open opponents of Hitler after he got into power were some lutheran priests (Martin Niemöller for example). This of course was because of their personal values not because of the Lutheran church being against Hitler as a whole.

In general lutheran churches tend to be loyal to the state if not for anything else then because the head of state is usually at least formally the head of church as well. On the other hand lutherans see the relationship between god and individual being much more direct than most other christian churches or movements and this gives some lattitude for differencies of opinion.

In general I don't think that Hitler appreciated religion much. He did not go openly against religious feelings and habbits but his regime certainly did its best to create new cults and habits to replace old ones, including those provided by the churches.

Regards,

Jari

T.R.Searle

Post by T.R.Searle » 16 May 2003, 16:27

Hitler was born Catholic, and if anyone wants any elaboration on this I can do it later on today, not much time at the moment. But he did try to get rid of religion or so to speak(or am I confusing that with Himmler?..or did they both try to accoplish that), either way Himmler was definatly more of an extreamist when it came to getting rid of Christianity and introducing some pagan "nordic" religion.

T.R.Searle :)

lilpink03

Post by lilpink03 » 17 May 2003, 00:51

im pretty sure that martin luthern was anti-simetic (i think, pretty sure, dont quote me on it.

thats what my paster said when i was in confermation class. that was a longish time ago though

James McBride

Post by James McBride » 17 May 2003, 01:20

lilpink03, you remember that little tidbit correctly. Martin Luther certainly was anti-Semitic, as were most Christians. The one thing they could all agree upon :). Not quite, but exterminating Jews seemed to always work to make Europeans forget thier problems, which is why I still believe that Jews should have a homeland, even though I didn't live through WW2.

lilpink03

Post by lilpink03 » 17 May 2003, 04:08

i agree, i think they should.

im glad, thats the only thing i learned in confermation class, woo hoo.... all that in 3 years!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”