Asian Air Arms post 1945

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
asianairarms

Asian Air Arms post 1945

Post by asianairarms » 04 Mar 2017, 15:25

Hi to all,
I'm the Group Leader of an IPMS (International Plastic Modellers' Society) Special Interest Group entitled "Asian Air Arms" focussing on 26 Asian air forces post 1945. I'd like to get in touch with any who are interested in this period with a view to their contributing their expertise to our Group. Our website is asianairarms.com . If this is of interest to you please visit the site and get in touch with me. We are particularly interested in 1945 - 1959 Chinese/Formosan/Indonesian air arms.
Thanks.

South

Re: Asian Air Arms post 1945

Post by South » 04 Mar 2017, 20:40

Good after A.A.A.,

Welcome to the Forum !

I personally have no knowledge about your special field other than to say the overlap of the Asian air fleets means you've got the basics already.

Indonesia had Tupolev-16s, Ilyush-28s and MIGs. Believe I have somewhere here a picture of an Indonesian Folker at Kai Tak Airport, Hong Kong, BCC.

Join us in sharing your knowledge-base on the Asian fleets.

Again: Welcome to AHF !

~ Bob
eastern Virginia, USA

asianairarms

Post by asianairarms » 09 Mar 2017, 11:16

Thanks Bob - very welcoming of you.
I'm particularly fascinated by strange bedfellows, such as Chinese communist Mustangs and Lavochkin La-11s teaming up against Nat Chinese Liberators and Mosquitos, Bizarre indeed. There are many, many strange permutations like this in the period immediately after the end of the war in the East and I hope to be able to gain a greater insight via the readers of this website.

Brian - Devon, UK
http://www.asianairarms.com

South

Post by South » 10 Mar 2017, 13:41

Good morning Brian,

Well received.

Speaking of "strange bedfellows"............

My interest in all this is more focused to certain events like the US citizen pilot Allen Pope getting captured by Sakarno / PKI forces.

He flew eg Douglas B-26 Invaders. An anti-Sakarno rebel group "AUREV" used Us-manufactured aircraft.

During this episode there were Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcars, P-51s, C-47s.

Although the Eisenhower administration initially claimed Allen Pope was a private citizen "Soldier of Fortune", certain incriminating documents surfaced in his crashed aircraft.

Much of this operation was staged from Clark Air Base, Philippines (and, was told by the knowledgeable, Cubi Point, Phil.

Heck, for the Berlin Airlift, the US requisitioned aircraft from as far away as Guam !

Of course the Dutch didn't finally leave their former East Indies until 1963 (Irian Jawa [western section of New Guinea]) so can guess some Dutch Folker acft present.

~ Bob

Virginia, USA

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 10 Mar 2017, 17:24

Please feel free to share photos of your builds in the model building section.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”