Unknow FJ Soldier

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Tolga Alkan

Unknow FJ Soldier

Post by Tolga Alkan » 21 May 2003, 22:00

Who is this Fj person in the video-capture photo,does anyone know?Just a regular soldier?

Best Regards
Attachments
fjr.jpg
fjr.jpg (14.52 KiB) Viewed 2335 times

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 22 May 2003, 00:16

Hello Tolga Akan:
Interesting pic. It comes from a famous serie taken in Normandy in 1944 after the Allied landing. It´s supposed to have been made during the Hedgerows battle. I´m posting two pics more belonging to the same sequence. Notice the FG42 first model on the back of another FJ. He may be Generalleutnant Schimpf 3FJD... It´s easy to deduce by comparing both photos and the soldiers appearing on them. Some of the clues are the Luftwaffe field jacket worn by Schimpf and his gauntlets.
Hope this helps. Óscar

On the 7th June, D-Day + 1, the division moved to Avranches, with only a spearhead made up of Kampfgruppe Alpers, the rest of the division had to follow on foot. Between 17th-18th June the division took up positions to the north of St Lò. They were to advance from their positions and drive the invading forces back into the sea. On their left flank was the 352nd Inf.Div and on the right, 17th SS.Pz.Gren Division, G.v.B. Divisional HQ was east of Chapelle du Fest.
The division's first encounter with enemy forces was on the 14th June when Kampfgruppe Alpers from FJR8 clashed with American Shermans in the Balleroy forest near Berigny on 8th-10th June 1944. This was the spearhead of the US advance on St.Lo.
With the aid of accurate artillery fire from the 12th Fallschirm-SP Brigade they managed to inflict heavy casualties on the Americans.
When the division finally became whole on the 17th, they were ordered to take up positions across a 15 mile sector from Foret de Cerisy to Caumont, east of St Lò.
The 5th, 8th and 9th Regiments stretched along this line managed to hold it against heavy attacks from American armour for 3 weeks, depriving the enemy of St Lò.
St Lò had become an important strategic objective for the American advance and on the 11th July they mounted an offensive to break the German line around the town. The offensive opened with a devastating artillery barrage that inflicted heavy casualties on the Para Regiments.
The 3rd Division had to withdrawal in the face of increasing pressure and St Lò fell to the allies on the 19th July.
In June 1944, losses for the 3rd Division were, 436 dead, 1513 wounded and 136 missing. 17% of its total strength.
On July 25th the American forces resumed their offensive to try and encircle the 5th Panzer Army and 7th Army (to which 3rd Para was attached). The 3rd Division along with the 12th SP Brigade tried in vain to contain the US 7th Corps advance. General Patton's 3rd Army was diverted from Brittany to help exploit the breakthrough at St Lò.
The Allies now dominated the Normandy countryside and German forces were pushed back under constant pressure of the advancing armoured units.
The 7th Army and 5th Panzer soon became trapped near the town of Falaise, the 3rd Division was now attached to the LXXXIV Corps. This pocket of German resistance was slowly being squeezed under the might of artillery and air attacks.
On the 20th August, the 3rd Parachute Division along with some SS units managed to exploit a gap in the allied encirclement and escaped from the hell of the Falaise Pocket.
Attachments
fg42.jpg
fg42.jpg (23.57 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
GralSchimpf3FJDNormandy.jpg
GralSchimpf3FJDNormandy.jpg (75.58 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 22 May 2003, 01:04

Hi there,

Well,thanks for comprehensive reply.In the second photo of you posted,i remember the persons.I will look at my video arcihve again for this scenes.
Thanks again,

Tolga

Tolga Alkan

Post by Tolga Alkan » 22 May 2003, 01:14

And one more video-caputure photo related FJ.
Attachments
t25.jpg
t25.jpg (21.37 KiB) Viewed 2312 times

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 22 May 2003, 06:29

Great pics! Yes, I do believe that's GL Dipl. Ing. Richard Schimpf. Note the badge on the side of his M.1943 field cap. I've seen several photos of him wearing this badge. It is described as an unofficial divisional badge in the color plate caption of GL Schimpf that appears in Naval, Marine and Air Force Uniforms of World War 2 by Andrew Mollo & Malcom McGregor (illustrator), Macmillan Publishing Company, Inc., New York, New York, 1976.

Regards,
Shawn

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 23 May 2003, 00:12

Hi again!
Tolga Akan, can you post more images from that video?
That unknown Fj is giving a report to Schimpf. He may be among the following list of commanders in 3FJD(?)

FJR 5 - Major Karl Heinz Becker
FJR 8 - Oberst Ernst Liebach
FJR 9 - Major Kurt Stephani
Pz.Jg.Abt. 3 - Hauptmann Persch
Flak.Abt. 3 - Major Müller
Art.Rgt. 3 - Hauptmann Fleischmann
Pionier.Btl. 3 - Major Karl Heinz Beth
Luftnachricten.Abt. 3 - Hauptmann Kurt Hölzner
Sani.Abt. 3 - Oberarzt Wichert
Supply & Support - Oberstleutnant Diesterhöft

Thanks. Óscar

Lodieu Didier

Re: Unknow FJ Soldier

Post by Lodieu Didier » 27 Apr 2018, 16:18

About this famous 3. FJD, know you know who remplace Oberst Liebach, Kdr. Of FJR 8, when he was severely wounded at the beginning of June 1944? I have an information mentioning Liebach in the Kessel von Falaise, but I have greats doubts.
Thnak you in advance for your help.
Sincerely yours
D. L.

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”