Commonwealth TOE's vs British ones?

Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Andy H
Gary Kennedy

Re: Commonwealth TOE's vs British ones?

Post by Gary Kennedy » 13 Mar 2018, 22:00

I recalled last night I might have some very broad figures for SA Armd Car units from a few ME AFV returns. It's not much but sheds a slither of light perhaps :>

From CRME/1578/3 AFV - Armd Car situation ME 26.08.42

4 SAAC Regt; WE of 20 Daimler and 38 Marmon Herrington with holdings of 19 and 38
6 SAAC Regt; WE of 58 Marmon Herrington with holdings of 55
3 SA Recce; WE of 18 Daimler and 98 Marmon Herrington with holdings of 98 MH

All three units were to move to a WE of 20 Daimler and 38 MH

Later notes for the Marmon Herrington refer to the MkIII, with a total required of 328 across all Br/SA units. Re MkIV it notes "The arrival of the MkIV MHAC will ease the Armd Car situation enormously. Until these cars arrive, however, any increase in wastage will mean that a number of Armd Car Regts may well have to be put of the road for a period."

From CRME/1578/3 AFV Armd Cars Mideast - 10.10.42

4 SAAC Regt; WE of 20 Daimler and 38 MHAC with holdings of 18 and 36
6 SAAC Regt; WE of 58 MHAC with holdings of 1 Daimler and 38 MHAC (also auth 2 AEC with none held)
3 SA Recce; WE of 6 Daimler and 58 MHAC with holdings of 4 and 58

4 SAAC Regt and 3 SA Recce are noted as to move to 15 Daimler, 43 MHAC and 3 AEC each, with 6 SAAC now on 58 MHAC and 3 AEC. Notes state that MkIV MHACs had still not arrived and meant a serious shortage of the type up to Jan43, though UK and US 'intake' should remedy matters from Feb43. States that if 3 SA Recce is withdrawn to train as the 1 SA Armd Div recce unit they will not need to be up to WE.

Note that 58 Armd Cars matches for the three issues of the Armd Car Regt WE issued by the British for the ME; the 3 AECs is mentioned as an extra allowance but there look to have been a dozen at most in hand.

Gary

Pruitt

Post by Pruitt » 04 May 2018, 22:00

The 2nd New Zealand was a Mixed Division in Italy. The Armored Brigade was supposed to be Infantry Tanks. Several Regular British divisions went to a Mixed TOE early on but converted back to Infantry TOE before they entered combat. The 6th South African Armor was actually a Mixed division but their third brigade was attached to a British Division and was not returned until right before the war in Italy ended.

There were a number of different Indian Division TOE's. The main difference was transport. A Light Infantry Division might only have a few Jeeps and a LOT of Mules. The 36th Indian Division was formed in India from 8 British Infantry battalions (two brigades) and was supposed to be an Amphibious Division. Most of the Indian Divisions in Burma were on reduced motor transport scales as airdrops took over most supply runs. The Monsoon in Burma frequently washed out the roads built between the rains. Riverine transport was actually easier where you could do it.

The 3rd Indian Motor Brigade was actually from an Indian Armor Division in Iraq. These brigades had a different TOE from Regular Infantry with truck transport.

The African Divisions were originally set up with Porter Transport.

Pruitt

Gary Kennedy

Post by Gary Kennedy » 05 May 2018, 14:04

4th Division did operate as a Mixed Div for the latter stages of the North African campaign (effectively just March to May of 1943), before going to three Inf Bdes at the end of 1943 prior to going to Italy.

Return to “The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45”