Questions about visit to Overloon / Militracks

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Archipelego

Questions about visit to Overloon / Militracks

Post by Archipelego » 22 Aug 2018, 10:46

Greetings all,

So, after many delays due to personal reasons, I'm going to have the opportunity of visiting Overloon during next years Militracks.

What I'd like to do is make the most of this and do some additional sight seeing around Nijmegan, Arnhem and perhaps over the border in Germany.

Therefore, I'm probably going to need a place/hotel to base myself. Does anyone have any recommendations of places to stay? I could use Google for places to stay, but figured some of you may already have had positive experiences of accommodation and save me the problem of making a bad choice :)

Thanks

Sheldrake

Re: Questions about visit to Overloon / Militracks

Post by Sheldrake » 22 Aug 2018, 11:04

If your aim is to visit Overloon pick somewhere convenient for the museum. If you are hirign a car you could base yourself in Eindhoven or Venlo

Donl;t gallop off to Nijmegen or Arnhem without exploring the battlefield of Overloon itself One of the fascinating things about Overloon is that the core of the collection are the vehicles from the battlefield of Overloon itself. So, with a bit of research you can see where the Panther, Shermans and Churchill's were knocked out. Do find the time to pay your respects to the war dead in the Commonwealth war cemetery a few hundred metres away. In there are most of the crew from the Churchill among others.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 22 Aug 2018, 23:03

I stayed at Mercure Hotel in Nijmegen a couple of years ago. Nice hotel right next to the train station. From Nijmegen, there's a train connection both north to Arnhem and south towards Overloon. Be aware, however, that it's a fairly long walk from the station closest to Overloon (Vierlingsbeek, 2½-3 kilometers along a country road with no sidewalk), and there is no taxi service in the area. Not impossible to walk if your legs are in good condition, but after being on your feet all day, the trip back might be a bit tough.

Nijmegen turned out to be a really nice town, with a small, old city center with winding roads. If you are into beer, there's a microbrewery that has tours (De Hemel), and there's a small pub with a large selection on tap (Café in de blaauwe hand).

Xavier

Post by Xavier » 23 Aug 2018, 04:38

by all means, arrive early and stay 2 days, too much too see, besides the show, the museum is first rate.
I was one of the lucky ones allowed to enter the King tiger brought from france this year.. next year there is already talk of bringing a panther.
weather is still too cold to camp in may, we stayed in an airbnb about 25 minutes from Overloon

Archipelego

Post by Archipelego » 12 Oct 2018, 22:27

Tickets booked for both days. Needless to say, I'm very excited :)

Now to sort out flights and accommodation.

Archipelego

Post by Archipelego » 02 Nov 2018, 17:16

Sorry, another question. Just looking at booking flights and renting a car. Flight wise, I can either fly into Dusseldorf or Eindhoven. Dusseldorf is a quicker flight but further to drive, Eindhoven has a change in Amsterdam.

Which airport have you flown into in the past?

Also, looking to hire a car as I'll be spending a bit of time around the area so want to do some sight seeing.

Has anyone rented a car from the airport and does you have recommendations / companies to avoid.

Thanks once again for any assistance :)

Xavier

Post by Xavier » 06 Nov 2018, 00:31

I rented from enterprise at the schipol airport, first rate service. I strongly suggest you make a reservation

Archipelego

Post by Archipelego » 25 Apr 2019, 14:53

Well, everything is booked. Staying over the border in Germany and travelling across to Overloon, should only take about 20 minutes. Looking forward to seeing the Panther. Have put aside some money so I can have a ride in a few vehicles too :)

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”