KTB of 6. SS-Gebirgs Div. "Nord / Sept.-Oct. 1944?

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by John Calvin and Jeff Leach.
TuomoKoo

KTB of 6. SS-Gebirgs Div. "Nord / Sept.-Oct. 1944?

Post by TuomoKoo » 10 Oct 2018 14:06

I am looking for war diaries of 6. SS-Gebirgs Division “Nord”, covering time frame of 1 Sept – 31.12.1944. During 1944, SS-Nord was allocated to 20. AOK / XVIII AK, which was responsible for Kiestinki-Uhtua front, east of Finland. The war diaries ending on 30.8.1944 can be found in NARA microfilm rolls T354/R138-R145. All SS-Nord documents found in T354 end at end of August 1944.

I am wondering if SS-Nord documentation archive was captured by Russian army at the end of WWII. With the help of Mori I have found XVIII AK documents in http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org. Division level is still missing from that site.
Can anyone give a hint where missing SS-Nord war diaries can be found?

SHIFounder

Re: KTB of 6. SS-Gebirgs Div. "Nord / Sept.-Oct. 1944?

Post by SHIFounder » 18 Nov 2018 11:41

Are you aware of the book Kampf Unter Dem Nordlicht? If so, would this book be of any use in finding this out?

Nord did not stay in Finland, as I am sure you already know. By December 1944, a large portion of the unit was making its final movements in Germany before spearheading the last German offensive on the Western Front along the French/German border in the Vosges Mountains: Unternehmen Nordwind, or Operation North Wind.

I am also on the hunt for similar information regarding the 6. SS Division Nord, to include its war diary. I have so many questions about the unit that are currently impossible to answer except for what the Russians, Finns, and Americans have available.

My latest interest is Nord's long movement from the Arctic Circle 1944, its refitting before going into Unternehmen Nordwind in 1945, what SS-Kriegsberichter elements were attached or assigned to Nord, and if these SS-KB soldiers were with Nord during Nordwind.

The unit is such a legendary unit, but hardly anyone knows about the men who fought and died while assigned to Nord. I don't care what the politics or symbolism are behind a military unit: a forced march over 1,000 miles by foot, truck, train, and ship after years of fighting in the Arctic Circle, only to be quickly refitted with equipment and replacements, then thrust into an offensive against all manner of fresh American troops with a radically different combined arms system, armed with MG42s that they had never used before: if that is not bravery of the highest order, I do not know what is.
Last Three Feet.
Win the mind, win the day.
-Eric

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 19 Nov 2018 13:24

There is very little in the NARA files from that time period. This can be attributed to all the movement, and the chaos of the end of the war. It is hard to find definite information from that time period.

TuomoKoo

Post by TuomoKoo » 26 Dec 2018 08:30

With the help of MORI I have found documents of German XVIII Gebirgs Armee Korps, which was the higher organization level to 6. SS-Gebirgs Division “Nord”. Pls. see documents in http://wwii.germandocsinrussia.org/ru/nodes/1-fond-500. Documents can be found in Cases 281 and 282.

It seems that at the end of WWII, XVIII AK was captured by red army, which explains why German military documents of XVIII AK have been found in Russian archives. Division level documents are not yet published in Germandocsinrussia -site.

Return to “Archives”