What uniform is this, type etc.

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
PanzerVandalleideli

What uniform is this, type etc.

Post by PanzerVandalleideli » 02 Dec 2018, 13:22

Any help would be great. but also, what rank would an SS platoon leader be? Thanks.
Attachments
C3C4F09D-94C9-4540-BF7B-7555603C3CD3.jpeg

Sejanus

Re: What uniform is this, type etc.

Post by Sejanus » 02 Dec 2018, 15:00

Is no one wearing SS uniforms in Heaven, where you are? Hmm. :milwink:

The subject in the foreground is wearing a reproduction camouflage Waffen-SS smock & helmet cover; smocks were designed to fit over a tunic. Looks like he is wearing a greatcoat under that.

Hard to tell but the subject on the left might be wearing a camo parka, is that a hood attached? SS smocks were not hooded.

Subject on the right is wearing a tunic but I cannot tell what type. Maybe an M-40? You can search this site and/or Google search "SS M-40 Tunic" and "SS Camo" for more info.

A platoon leader is a Zugführer, which is a positional title that could be held by different ranks, generally junior officers I believe.

:welcome:

PanzerVandalleideli

Post by PanzerVandalleideli » 02 Dec 2018, 16:04

Thank you!

I’m currently making a role play based on an SS platoon in Belarus. my character is an obersturmführer, and platoon leader within the SS leibstandarte infantry regiments. is that a correct rank?

So the camo on all uniforms are applied over the classic ones we see? they seem a tight fit. how were they applied?

All the best.

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 02 Dec 2018, 18:59

I think that rank would be correct, but you may want to wait for other opinions just to be sure; it has been some time since I looked into the Waffen-SS.

Camo smocks were applied over uniform tunics until the end of the war; they were a pullover that slipped on right over the tunic. They were cut oversized so they could fit over a tunic. There was also another camo pattern (not seen in your image) produced in both tunics and trousers called called Dot 44; in theory these would have make camo smocks obsolete but the smocks still continued to be worn.

The Waffen-SS also used many different camo patterns (even surplus Italian stocks made into tunics & trousers) however I am sticking to generalities here.

Something you may want to keep in mind is that your image comes from a postwar movie still. So unless one knows better a source like that might not be completely reliable.

Good luck & hope this helps.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 02 Dec 2018, 23:10

Hello,

Late in the war the Platoon leader of the first platoon was a Stellengruppe "Z" soldier which is a Ober- or Untersturmführer while the other platoons were lead by Oberschar- or Hauptscharführer.
Keep in mind that in times of heavy combat it was usual that lower Stellengruppen were used to fill These leader gaps so very much was possble and realistic.

/Christoph

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 03 Dec 2018, 08:43

Waffen-SS Oak Leaf Autumn Camouflage
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Return to “Reenactment”