Researching SA Dagger

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Verewn

Researching SA Dagger

Post by Verewn » 31 Dec 2018, 02:10

Hi,

Have been reading this forum, and found some useful info, but I thought Id ask some of the experts to see if anything else can be added.

A relative gave me an SA dagger from WW2. I know it was taken from an SS officer towards the end of the war (along with Mauser pistol) near Belsen. 2 SS officers were stopped and relieved of their weapons.

It appears to me to be a standard SA dagger in reasonable condition, but interestingly seems to have had original owners name rather crudley scratched into the edge of the scabbard.

Is it usual for an SS officer to have carried an SA dagger ? Is there any source for seeing any info about the possible owner whose name is scratched in ?

Can anyone confirm details of dagger or add insights, from pictures I have ? I have better pics but need to edit to enable upload it seems. Any info is of interest to me.

Thankyou.
Attachments
15F38698-00C7-45DF-AC88-B42104599894.jpeg
DEA28381-27B9-49A8-A4E3-92E9B28B8D3C.jpeg
86694C2F-37EA-4044-9B6A-480C8D982E64.jpeg
FFC74BDC-EA82-43B1-AF1D-7461A86A0622.jpeg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Researching SA Dagger

Post by John G. » 31 Dec 2018, 04:14

Welcome to the forum. First off, no SS or any other officer would have been wearing their dress daggers in 1945, they were for dress, not combat. The engraving appears to be done with an electric pencil engraver, which came out in the 1960/70s, no self respecting German would have defaced their dagger in such a manner. Many "vet" storys are embellished or made up.... just human nature. Believe the item, not the story.

Otherwise, it's a decent SA dagger, well worth cherishing as a family heirloom.
John G.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 31 Dec 2018, 05:55

Dark scabbard and dagger doesn't match like a true SA model.
I think it's really a NSKK dagger, and according to maker's mark, made by Ernst Pack & Sohne
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Verewn

Post by Verewn » 01 Jan 2019, 14:15

Thankyou, I appreciate the feedback.

Scabbard is really more of a dark chocolate colour than black. Hard to be sure with the pictures and age of the item.

Regarding the provenance of the dagger, I understand what you say about dress daggers unlikely to be worn in combat areas or defaced. However the story of where it comes from is undoubtedly true (my relative is still alive, and not one prone to embellishment). Unfortunately we had to dispose of the Mauser he also confiscated which could have helped shed some light, which leaves me with a bit of a mystery....

Google not helping much with seeing if name engraved was in the war or somehow a later addition to the dagger....

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 01 Jan 2019, 21:34

You can believe what you want, and your reative might believe it too.... But No German officer wore a dagger, especially an SS officer with an SA dagger (there was No love lost between the two organizations after Hitler's purge of the SA...) that late in the war of in combat...ridiculous. ll e le It would also be against regulations to have defaced a dagger as this one has been. Of course, regulations could be broken, but el e grid pencils weren't publicly available until long after the war...

Not trying to argue the point, no skin off my tail, but you asked for opinions.... I have over 60 years of collecting under my belt, and while I can be mistaken still.... I don't have any reservations about what I've told you.
What you want to believe is totally up to you.
John G.

Cannonman1

Post by Cannonman1 » 25 Feb 2021, 17:41

Considering the complete dominance of the SS following the purge of the SA early on .. What explains the prevalence of the SA daggers in collections today.. One would think the vast vast majority would have been destroyed by individuals who owned them so as not to pose an issue with SS.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”