New armband, help with ID?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
mountain-boomer

New armband, help with ID?

Post by mountain-boomer » 02 Jan 2019 00:28

61B17895-90D7-4AA1-AF72-F73C8B247ED4.jpeg
Hey guys, got a new armband today... I knew it had an acceptance stamp inside, when I got home and started checking it out closer it says ‘waffen - ss’ on the top line. The ss armband I used to own had the black trim on the top and bottom. I’ll try to attach some decent pictures from my phone asap.
Guess my question is: is it an SS armband? Its definitely cotton, 3 piece construction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mountain-boomer

Re: New armband, help with ID?

Post by mountain-boomer » 02 Jan 2019 00:33

Trying to get some better pictures to upload from my phone without turning the resolution down so low
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 02 Jan 2019 01:08

Absolutely no reason for a swastika Waffen SS armband. Could be for Volksstrum issued by Waffen SS authority but very doubtful. Armband lmay be real, looks like it had the black edging of an A-SS armband that has been removed, but also could be fake.... Hard to be sure from limited pictures. Not an armband I'd want unless vet. lot aquired.
John G.

mountain-boomer

Post by mountain-boomer » 02 Jan 2019 01:25

Don’t know what to think of the stamp, everything else checks out...

mountain-boomer

Post by mountain-boomer » 02 Jan 2019 03:59

The red field passed the thread burn test, but I’m not convinced about the texture of the white field. It feels like cotton but it doesn’t want to stretch at all. Could be rayon, but seems like canvas of some kind, can’t get a thread out without damaging it. Will do further investigating via blacklight later

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 02 Jan 2019 08:56

IMHO ; It smells like a fake armband...A Waffen-SS stamp on the backside of a NSDAP armband, does not make any sense
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

mountain-boomer

Post by mountain-boomer » 02 Jan 2019 15:54

Got it in a vet lot yesterday along with documentation of a hitlerjugend member (Ernst Borchardt) that completed all the fitness and flight training for the fliegerkorps. His ID books, training and work logs, flight books, HJ songbook, and the name tags from his awards all folded in the booklets. A few different pictures of him too. For the price- I’ll accept a bad armband. Maybe I’ll wear it to a Hillary 2020 rally :thumbsup:

mountain-boomer

Post by mountain-boomer » 02 Jan 2019 16:07

Pretty detailed even had the height and time he took off and landed in training, too bad his armband was bogus

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 02 Jan 2019 19:33

The armband may have been "salted" into the H.J. lot..... as a long time collector/dealer I've sold many an item to WW 2 veterans who wanted "war souvenirs to show their grand-children. The Waffen SS stamp is the only real issue I see.... just "shouldn't be" but who knows. Have you blacklighted it?
John G.

mountain-boomer

Post by mountain-boomer » 02 Jan 2019 20:52

No I have to borrow a blacklight. The white field is all Im really concerned about atm, I’m thinking somebody threw the stamp on there trying to ‘add value’ and all they did was mess up my arm band. There are reproduction stamps of all kinds but that I can find on reddick, or anywhere else, none of the repop armbands come stamped like this. I’m in love with my HJ tinnies and papers regardless :)

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 05 Jan 2019 08:37

Fi nally back on the forum...this armband is a typical repro with nonsense waffen ss stamp to rip people off.Artifically aged, looks like a Reddick Militaria one,which I have owned for refer.the back side large extra material is dead giveaway..ASJohn says a salted item in some real stuff ,common practice among dealers(not all)

mountain-boomer

Post by mountain-boomer » 05 Jan 2019 13:34

Guess they can’t all be winners haha, thanks for the info guys!
Ill bring it to the big gun show at knoxville as a conversation piece next month.

gigoo

Post by gigoo » 05 Jan 2019 22:02

Long ago, a seasoned collector told me that if it's got an eagle...let it fly

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 07 Jan 2019 00:20

gigoo, bahahaaha but correct assessment the seasoned collector told you

Lifelooking

Post by Lifelooking » 20 Jan 2019 23:14

From my 3 days of learning lol, I was told that only documents letters etc would have a large ink stamp like that(?)

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”