Where can I get good blank firing guns?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
D-General

Where can I get good blank firing guns?

Post by D-General » 21 Mar 2019, 14:29

Hello, I'm pretty much new with this whole uniform thing. I'm about to order my Heer uniform soon. But then I realized, I needed a weapon to go with it. So where's the best place to get good blank firing German WWII guns? Especially one that ships internationally since majority of my finds only ship within the U.S. or the E.U. since International shipping is too much of a hassle for them apparently. Thanks in advance.
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."(Erwin Rommel)

Octotrooper

Re: Where can I get good blank firing guns?

Post by Octotrooper » 11 Dec 2019, 22:00

Not sure if this is true but I think most or all guns are able to fire blanks so I think if you just buy one you should be able to load blanks but again I could be wrong. Hope I helped you, sorry if I'm too late

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 11 Dec 2019, 22:22

When in doubt, contact the manufacturer. There are some good gun stores there in S.D., they'll answer your questions if you ask.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 12 Dec 2019, 10:17

Octotrooper wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 22:00
Not sure if this is true but I think most or all guns are able to fire blanks so I think if you just buy one you should be able to load blanks but again I could be wrong. Hope I helped you, sorry if I'm too late
You are right on this. And some firearms also require a blank firing adaptor in order to make action cycle. A couple of examples are the M-16/AR-15 series, without an adaptor they will only fire each blank once and then have to be reloaded (by pulling the charging handle) for each and every shot; MP-40's also require a blank firing adaptor to cycle.

On the other hand, there are "blank guns" that resemble real firearms but that are designed to fire blanks only. Live ammo won't work in them at all. One business that sells them is Collector's Armoury, they are based in Georgia (US) and have been around since the late 1960's:

https://collectorsarmoury.com/

I have never owned a blank gun and so cannot comment on which ones are better than others, or which businesses selling them are preferred. However, the sort of blanks used by blank guns (about the strength of a primer in a live round) generally won't be as strong as the sort of blank used in an actual firearm; real firearms have far greater tolerances and can handle a heavier blast than any blank gun can. So the sort of blanks fired by firearms can be louder and easier to hear (as they should be), versus the quieter pop made by something designed only for blanks.

I would also expect that real firearms can withstand the rigors of field use better than a blank gun could because they are better made.

Still, a blank gun could be a good alternative depending on one's circumstances. I had forgotten all about them until I saw this thread.

Return to “Reenactment”