Need help identifying this bayonet and bayonet frog.

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Derpythespy

Need help identifying this bayonet and bayonet frog.

Post by Derpythespy » 21 Mar 2019, 21:21

This is a bayonet owned by someone i know. from photos he provided to me, i did manage to find some informations about it. However, i wish to post it here and get some confirmation about it too.

Here is the bayonet frog image he sent me:

From my research, it looks like it has manufacturer marking Carl Ackva, Bad Kreuznach, 1939. From the way it has strap, it was most likely made for mounted units, but i’m not 100% sure on that. The marking 2/AR84 seems to be for division/regiment marking II./Artillerie Regiment 84 (II/AR 84).

So for the bayonet, i wasn’t able to find too much about it. For one, it has barely any markings.

Here are the photos with markings visible:

And this one, i’m not 100% sure, but i VAGUELY see some sort of W on the handguard.

The Waffenamt seems to have marking WaA313, but this is simply a geuess from what i see.

I zoomed into this photo
And tried to find any sort of line marking etc

This is what i came with.

From what i can see on the bayonet, it looks like waffenamt is WaA313, manufacturer Mundos AG MAgdeburg Nord 1942~1944.

and no, there is no markings on the bayonet scabbard, nor anywhere else on the bayonet i can see from the photo.

It seems to be a SG. 84/98 III bayonet with production number 7447 a. It has WaA313 marking, but im not 100# sure if this is supposed to be a droop-wing style marking.

Here are the rest of photographs:

I would greatly appreciate it if you could get me some info or any sort of insight to this. See if there is anything i got wrong or missing. Thank you :D

Richie B

Re: Need help identifying this bayonet and bayonet frog.

Post by Richie B » 22 Mar 2019, 11:29

The serial number on the pommel [as opposed to the blade on German issue models] is indicative of the bayonet being part of the 1937 Portuguese contract. These bayonets went through the German inspection process hence the stamps on the pommel.

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identi ... ugal2.html

Derpythespy

Re: Need help identifying this bayonet and bayonet frog.

Post by Derpythespy » 31 Mar 2019, 23:01

thank you for the information. i appreciate it :D

Return to “Other Equipment”