Question: Militaria in Normandy area

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
DPK325

Question: Militaria in Normandy area

Post by DPK325 » 24 Mar 2019, 17:07

Hello everyone,
I’m going to be taking my second trip to Normandy and would like to buy some militaria while there.

I know, I know - it’s a bad idea to buy militaria in Normandy, as even if the items are genuine, they will almost certainly be marked up massively.

But I’m not going to be looking for big ticket items like airborne helmets or fallschirmjäger forage caps - I simply want a small piece of the fighting to take home with me. A rusty shell casing, a magazine clip, an old spoon, a bayonet sheath - something like that. My question is what are my odds of finding a small relic like this that is genuine and that is from the actual Normandy fighting? I don’t want to end up with some rusty 30 cal casing from post-war army drills that someone decided to pass off as a 1944 period casing.

My thought is if someone is going to take the time to make a fake, they’re not going to do it on a shell casing that they can sell for $10 - it’s going to be medals, patches, etc. Am I right in this thinking?

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good militaria shop in the Utah/Omaha areas where I could buy something small like this and be relatively sure it’s genuine? I don’t mind overpaying - I just want a little piece of the Normandy campaign to bring home with me.

Thanks,
Doug

Sheldrake

Re: Question: Militaria in Normandy area

Post by Sheldrake » 24 Mar 2019, 22:44

There are plenty of tourist shops that will sell overpriced relics.

Removing remains from battlefields is illegal in France. The pattern of artifacts can tell archaeologists something new about battlefields and the information on spoons or other personal items, if removed from a previously unknown grave can sometimes identify a soldier who remains someone's ancestor.

If you want to buy this crap I cannot stop you, but you are supporting illegal activity that hampers historical research and even grave robbing.

DPK325

Re: Question: Militaria in Normandy area

Post by DPK325 » 25 Mar 2019, 03:28

Relax buddy - I appreciate you telling me it’s illegal. I had no idea, and I’m not interested in supporting illegal activity. I’m a bit confused though, because people sell buried and unearthed WWII artifacts even on this very website - perhaps the legality varies in different regions. I didn’t realize it was a legal issue. Obviously one you are very passionate about...

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”