On what basis did Romania claim the territories east of Moldova?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Futurist

On what basis did Romania claim the territories east of Moldova?

Post by Futurist » 01 Apr 2019, 01:52

This is a map of Romania's 1941 borders after Operation Barbarossa:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190331234 ... BhuUYe.jpg

I have a question--on what basis did Romania claim the territories west of Moldova? Specifically, Romania's easternmost territories in this scenario appear to have had very little actual Romanians. In turn, this raises the question of what basis Romania used to claim these territories.

Also, what exactly did Romania plan to do with these territories after the war in the event of an Axis victory? For instance, was it going to transform these territories into Romanian Lebensraum and expel all of the non-Romanians from these territories?
Last edited by Futurist on 01 Apr 2019, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

wm

Re: On what basis did Romania claim the territories west of Moldova?

Post by wm » 01 Apr 2019, 12:59

On the basis of the Union of Bessarabia with Romania (1918) and the Treaty of Paris (1920).
It was an effective union or annexation, effective because accepted by great powers.

Futurist

Re: On what basis did Romania claim the territories west of Moldova?

Post by Futurist » 01 Apr 2019, 19:52

Crap! I meant to write the territories east of Moldova. (I have now fixed this.) Obviously I know why Romania claimed Moldova itself.

wm

Re: On what basis did Romania claim the territories east of Moldova?

Post by wm » 01 Apr 2019, 23:07

But did they really claim it or were merely asked by the Germans to administer it.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 02 Apr 2019, 07:00

Hi Guys,

I presume we are talking about "Transnistria", which is shown in green on the smaller linked map. (Dark purple is Romania before WWI and pale purple shows post-WWI gains, except Northern Transilvania).

Although it had a small, Romanian-speaking minority on its western edge, Romania never annexed Transnistria. Transnistria's capital, Odessa, was considerably Russian and its interior mostly Ukrainian.

Hitler apparently hoped that Transnistria would compensate Romania for the loss of two-thirds of Transilvania to Hungary in 1940, which had been orchestrated by him. (The linked map does not show this area). However, the two were not comparable in terms of the numbers of Romanians in the population and so did not carry equivalent weight in Romanian minds.

Although the Romanians might well have eventually annexed Transnistria, they were cautious and the war was lost long before such a step was taken.

Cheers,

Sid.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 12 Apr 2019, 08:42

wm wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 23:07
But did they really claim it or were merely asked by the Germans to administer it.
That I honestly don't know.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 12 Apr 2019, 08:43

Sid Guttridge wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 07:00
Hi Guys,

I presume we are talking about "Transnistria", which is shown in green on the smaller linked map. (Dark purple is Romania before WWI and pale purple shows post-WWI gains, except Northern Transilvania).

Although it had a small, Romanian-speaking minority on its western edge, Romania never annexed Transnistria. Transnistria's capital, Odessa, was considerably Russian and its interior mostly Ukrainian.

Hitler apparently hoped that Transnistria would compensate Romania for the loss of two-thirds of Transilvania to Hungary in 1940, which had been orchestrated by him. (The linked map does not show this area). However, the two were not comparable in terms of the numbers of Romanians in the population and so did not carry equivalent weight in Romanian minds.

Although the Romanians might well have eventually annexed Transnistria, they were cautious and the war was lost long before such a step was taken.

Cheers,

Sid.
So, basically, Romania doesn't appear to have cared much for Transnistria other than as a possible consolation prize if it will be unable to convince Hitler to give Northern Transylvania back to them?

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Apr 2019, 08:04

Hi Futurist,

Yup.

Sid.

Mita2002

Post by Mita2002 » 13 Apr 2019, 12:19

I have two questions which might be a little off topic.
1. Was the port of Mykolaiv(Nikolaev) also a part of the Transnistria Governorate?
2. Doar You have any info about the Transnistrian Air Section?

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 15 Apr 2019, 17:31

Hi Mita2002,

From memory, Nikolaiev was kept by the Germans, who wanted its dockyard.

I don't know anything about a Transnistrian Air Section. The person to ask is probably Denes Bernad, who has written books on Romanian aircraft and who posts here.

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”