Japanese on the Chinese side

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
ChronoZX

Japanese on the Chinese side

Post by ChronoZX » 08 Jul 2019, 06:49

Just like Manchukuo and Wang Jingwei's regime, I can only name a small number of Japanese who were on the side of the Chinese.

Teru Hasegawa
Wataru Kaji
Nosaka Sanzo

79seconds

Re: Japanese on the Chinese side

Post by 79seconds » 08 May 2020, 06:00

some Japanese soldiers joined Communist armies after they were captured and fought against their former troops. lol

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 07 Jul 2020, 04:17

79seconds wrote:
08 May 2020, 06:00
some Japanese soldiers joined Communist armies after they were captured and fought against their former troops. lol
Yes, I don't have any names, but I've read several accounts from Communist sources mentioning captured Japanese troops joining them. It makes sense from the fact that the Communists were operating under a transnational ideology so there was theoretically no problem with accepting foreigners into their ranks so long as the foreigners were willing to be loyal Communists. The GMD were strictly nationalists for all practical purposes, so there wasn't really an ideological framework for them to accept defecting Japanese troops.

79seconds

Post by 79seconds » 01 Aug 2020, 17:19

Stephen_Rynerson wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 04:17
79seconds wrote:
08 May 2020, 06:00
Yes, I don't have any names, but I've read several accounts from Communist sources mentioning captured Japanese troops joining them. It makes sense from the fact that the Communists were operating under a transnational ideology so there was theoretically no problem with accepting foreigners into their ranks so long as the foreigners were willing to be loyal Communists. The GMD were strictly nationalists for all practical purposes, so there wasn't really an ideological framework for them to accept defecting Japanese troops.
Actually both sides (Communist and KMT sides) were incorporating defecting Japanese troops in the civil war. Those who joined Communist army were low-ranking officers and soldiers.
But some high-ranking officers fought for KMT armies. Maj. Gen. Motoizumi Kaori and his troops fought against Communist Army in the war and KIA (ordered his adjutant shoot him) in Shanxi, July 1948. Colonel Imamura Hosaku committed suicide after Taiyuan city which his troops were defending under the order of KMT Gen. Yan Xishan in April 1949.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”