King Tiger vs IS-2 (2019)

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Stiltzkin

Re: King Tiger vs IS-2 (2019)

Post by Stiltzkin » 27 Jul 2019, 18:20

Which evaluation is that? IS-2M is a postwar upgrade, it cannot be that variant.
From a declassified document "COMBAT POTENTIALS of the Armament and Combat Equipment of the Ground Forces and Aviation of the USSR", but only one was translated (CIA, 1977/1980). Zaloga listed the values in armoured champion.
Zaloga Tank Combat Value USSR 44-45.jpg
Zaloga Tank Combat Value USSR 44-45.jpg (11.2 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Zaloga comparative combat value Panther.png
Zaloga comparative combat value Panther.png (22.02 KiB) Viewed 975 times
I think I also saw them in Ustyantsev but I am not sure.
so I suppose this means the Tiger-2 could, generally speaking, knock out an IS-2 at long distances? No offense, but it looks as though this thread has gone a bit far, it seems with all the information here that it was very possible for Tiger-2 to destroy an IS-2 at long distances. Of course there are different scenarios where one could kill the other, the question kind of needs to receive a generalized answer, so wouldn't it just make sense, after all this discussion, to come to the reasonable conclusion that, yes, generally the Tiger-2 could kill an IS-2 at great ranges.
That is the issue, everything is very relative (probabilistic ranges), until a final judgement can be made.

The Panther's size is a disadvantage. It is longer than the IS-122 by 130 mm, wider by 360 mm, and higher by 180 mm........
I must say, whoever wrote the evaluation you quoted did a pretty poor job, independent of that, we still need to explain the rating. Could be a typo, maybe.

Also
The tank archives....enough said.
However, it is clearly differentiated between PzIV and PzIVlang. For 1945, this, at least to me, does not make any sense. Is it possible that they mention the PzIV/70(A) instead? It´s often differentiated from the Jagdpanzer IV/70 in german primary sources.
That is one explanation for sure, but would they include such a rare model?

Alejandro_

Post by Alejandro_ » 28 Jul 2019, 00:34

From a declassified document "COMBAT POTENTIALS of the Armament and Combat Equipment of the Ground Forces and Aviation of the USSR", but only one was translated (CIA, 1977/1980). Zaloga listed the values in armoured champion.
I have come across that type of document for postwar equipment, but not for WW2 equipment. I find it a bit hard to understand without knowing how this "combat potential" was calculated. Maybe IS-2M refers to a 1943 version as table states 1943/44. Do you know what the reference 4 states?
The tank archives....enough said.
Well, the original link is included. Perhaps you can write an improved translation?

https://yuripasholok.livejournal.com/2948520.html

Peasant

Post by Peasant » 29 Nov 2020, 14:05

Since this is the newest thread on this forum about JS-2 tanks, I'll post my message here:

The distance from which Panther's gun can penetrate the lower nose of the modified JS-2 tanks (120-130mm high hardness cast at 30° slope) was determined to be 785m. According to the wrong ballistics of the Panther's gun employed by the soviets at the time, this corresponds to 849m/s striking velocity, very close to good quality german RHA. It seems that high hardness has more than offset the inherent weakness of cast armour at these high T/D ratios.
The actual distance using german FT for this gun is 600m. The driver's plate on early JS-2s was likely completely immune to Pak 40 ATG at all ranges, so the tanks destroyed from the front by these guns were probably hit in the lower nose or flat parts of the turret face.

Source: https://warspot.ru/12831-malaya-moderni ... hogo-tanka

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”