What did the Chinese divisions with only "some German training" wear?

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Garuda

What did the Chinese divisions with only "some German training" wear?

Post by Garuda » 23 Jul 2019, 16:45

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... onary_Army

"In 1934 General Hans von Seeckt, acting as advisor to President Chiang, proposed a "80 Division Plan" for reforming the entire Chinese army into 80 divisions of highly trained, well-equipped troops organised along German lines. The plan was never fully realised, as the vying warlords could not agree upon the reorganised division organization and the disbanding of the others. By July 1937 only 8 infantry divisions had completed reorganisation and training. These were the 3rd, 6th, 9th, 14th, 36th, 87th, 88th, and the Training Division.

Another 12 divisions equipped with Chinese arms on the reorganized model with German advisors had some training by the time the Second Sino-Japanese War started in July 1937. These Divisions were the 2nd, 4th, 10th, 11th, 25th, 27th, 57th, 67th, 80th, 83rd, 89th Infantry Divisions.
"

We all know the 87th and 88th division wore Stahlhelm helmets and green/brown uniform but what did the other 12 divisions who only had "some German training" wear? Blue Field caps and blue uniform since that was the general uniform of the Kuomintang (which didn't receive German training)? Or did they also wear Stahlhelms and green/brown uniform?I just want to know cause I'm trying to complete a homemade animation.

Jeromewaf
Banned

What did the Chinese divisions with only "some German training" wear

Post by Jeromewaf » 17 Mar 2020, 18:44

They could wear their german uniform when no working if they still had it. Otherwise they wore used US Army items with the PW painted on it. There was no special POW uniform if thats what you are asking.
<small>f.o.r.c.e. gmbh porsche original parts germany</small>

Hikari

Re: What did the Chinese divisions with only "some German training" wear?

Post by Hikari » 15 Jul 2020, 16:03

Their distinctive feature is only the German M35 helmet, as far as I know

gebhk

Re: What did the Chinese divisions with only "some German training" wear?

Post by gebhk » 21 Jul 2020, 11:23

I don't think one can make any hard and fast rules. Other than that there was no German uniform. There was simply a KT uniform, which varied greatly in colour and shape. Officially, I understand, the KT uniform consisted of a yellowish green lightweight summer version and a more brown, heavier winter one. Blue/grey versions of both also existed and, according to some authors, were more prevalent in the north.

Some 250K German Stalhelm M35 were imported, so it was not just the German-trained divisions that got them. At the same time, if they had a helmet at all, the British helmet was also popular, if non-propaganda photos are anything to go by.

In short, there was great diversity.

I suggest Osprey's 'The Chinese Army 1937-49' as a reasonable starter. Unfortunately some scumbag stole my copy after a show, so I can't be much more help.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”