Blood Red Snow?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
I have questions

Blood Red Snow?

Post by I have questions » 29 Sep 2019 16:58

Hi, a few months ago I read 'Blood Red Snow' by Gunter Koschorrek and the book seemed sketchy to me:
1.) He makes several references to Kalashnikovs (could this just be a translation error?)
2.) in one of the photos he appears to be wearing an HBT uniform (I am not sure, but it looked as such)
3.) this one is a bit odd but: in another photo he is supposedly with his sister in East Prussia in December 1944 and they are outside, but there is no snow on the ground at all, in fact it almost looks sunny
4.) finally, in the very same photo mentioned in #3, it looks as though he is wearing a Panzerkampfabzeichen, even though he was a machine gunner. (it looked like one, the photo quality is not great in the paperback version)

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who knows anymore about this, is it a fake? Or are these just translation errors?

Ken S.

Re: Blood Red Snow?

Post by Ken S. » 06 Oct 2019 08:08

Of the four times that I can find the use of "Kalashnikov" in the English, in the German he wrote "Kalaschnikow" [three times] and once the translator used it for "Maschinenpistole".

As for the photo with his sister, he states in the book that he visited his mom and sister in May 1944. I've flipped back and forth through my German copy and unless I'm missing something, it's not even printed in it.
Last edited by Ken S. on 06 Oct 2019 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

I have questions

Post by I have questions » 06 Oct 2019 17:36

That is strange, so it would appear as though it is a translation error for "machine pistol", not actually referring to the AK-47. About the photograph, are you saying that in the German version it doesn't exist at all, are there any photos? It wouldn't make sense if they didn't print it in both versions, chances are it was printed in German first then English, why would he withhold those photos from the German publishers? :?

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 06 Oct 2019 19:49

I should clarify, thee times Koschorrek uses the word "Kalaschnikow" and it's translated as "Kalashnikov," once when he uses "Maschinenpistole" the translator translated it as "Kalashnikov".

Yes, I can't find the photo of him and his sister. There are quite a few photos, in two glossy sections and also scattered among the text. More than appear to be in my (kindle) English translation. My German copy is the Weltbild edition, not sure if that makes any difference in regards to photos.

I have't read either the German or English to any extent but but in comparing a few of the entries the translation sometimes leaves out quite and sometimes - to the best of my understanding of German - seems a little off.

I have questions

Post by I have questions » 06 Oct 2019 22:15

so it isn't a fake it's just riddled with translation errors.

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 09 Oct 2019 01:49

I've only read a few parts, so I can't say to what extent there are outright translation 'errors', but as with every translation some of the meaning of the original text is going to be 'lost'.

Larso

Post by Larso » 10 Oct 2019 11:09

I didn't note those things you said but I'm not too forensic with my reading. For what it's worth, it's the closest in tone/pace to Sajer's Forgotten Soldier. Now personally I'm happy with that as a memoir of battle but others are quite suspicious of it.

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 10 Oct 2019 14:54

The locations discussed matches the history of the 24th Panzer division (generally). "The Forgotten Soldier" actually matches Spaeter's history (PzK GD) for the most part. Human memories are highly fallible, prone to error particularly long time gaps since the experience.

I have heard of the controversy behind "The Forgotten soldier". If it was historical fiction, he would have needed to interview veterans and acquire unit histories of GD to construct it.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”