Hitler Youth Induction

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Wordsworth

Hitler Youth Induction

Post by Wordsworth » 08 Nov 2019, 21:19

When did a boy register for the Hitler Youth? I've find some sources that say the beginning of the year of his 10th birthday? Was he inducted at a certain time, like Hitler's birthday? When did he get his dagger? Did it come with his uniform when he purchased it or was it given to him later after completing his probationary period?

I've found sources for these, but they are conflicting. Lehmann's book seems to indicate the dagger came with the uniform, but I'm finding some sources that say it didn't come til later.

freddiefro

Re: Hitler Youth Induction

Post by freddiefro » 09 Nov 2019, 00:49

Wordsworth wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 21:19
When did a boy register for the Hitler Youth? I've find some sources that say the beginning of the year of his 10th birthday? Was he inducted at a certain time, like Hitler's birthday?
My understanding is that the age to enter the Jungvolk was 10 and when they were 14, they would then transfer to the Hitler Youth on Hitler's birthday (20.April). Below is from the 1937 Organisationsbuch der NSDAP.:

“Die Überweisung vom Deutschen Jungvolk (Jungmädel) in die Hitlerjugend (Bund Deutscher Mädel) findet ebenfalls am 20.April eines jeden Jahres für die 14 Jahre alt Gewordenen statt.”
Wordsworth wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 21:19
When did he get his dagger? Did it come with his uniform when he purchased it or was it given to him later after completing his probationary period?
Regarding the Standard Youth Knife, the following is from “Collecting the Edged Weapons of the Third Reich - Volume 1” (LTC Thomas M. Johnson):

“Standard Youth Knife. Authorized for HJ candidates as an award for passing a series of proficiency tests and worn by all subordinate ranks of both the Hitler Youth (Hitlerjugend) and German Young People (Deutsche Jungvolk). The knife was obtainable from all authorized retail stores and factories at a fixed sales price of 4RM’s.”

Fred

Wordsworth

Re: Hitler Youth Induction

Post by Wordsworth » 18 Nov 2019, 03:00

Thank you very much. I just watched "Jojo Rabbit" and I couldn't figure out how long Jojo had been in the HJ because he had his dagger, yet was going on his first campout and the dialogue seemed to indicate that he had just recently joined. Obviously, the movie is a satire and isn't going to get everything right.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”