ID Military Uniform and Translation Help

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Kskm212

ID Military Uniform and Translation Help

Post by Kskm212 » 30 Dec 2019 03:39

I have a photo of my grandfather in military uniform. He is the man with the white belt and glove. I am trying to determine if the military uniform was German or Russian.
My grandfather was born in Lithuania in 1886 (according to his US Naturalization papers, filed in 1942). Before he immigrated to the US in 1912 he had a blacksmith shop on the German border near Tilsit Lithuania. If he had to join the military at age 20 this picture may have been taken between 1906 and 1912.
The Russian printing on the back says the picture was taken at a photo studio in Odessa Ukraine. The English writing is my grandmothers, his wife in 1916. I do not know what the German writing says.
It is possible he attended a military training school in Odessa and had the picture taken to commemorate his graduation, but I am only speculating.
I am hoping someone can tell me if the military uniform was German or Russian and possibly what the German writing says.
Thanks for any help.
Karen
John Kambies Karl Sager Military Uniforms Front 1.jpg
John Kambies Karl Segar Russian Military back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GregSingh

Re: ID Military Uniform and Translation Help

Post by GregSingh » 30 Dec 2019 10:53

:welcome:

Russian Imperial Army for sure.
As photo was taken in Odessa before 1912, these uniforms look like from 8th Don Cossack Regiment.

Another unit in Odessa was 15th Infantry Division, but these guys don't look like infantry to me.
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Kskm212

Re: ID Military Uniform and Translation Help

Post by Kskm212 » 30 Dec 2019 17:31

Greg - Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”