How widespread were Spanish Nationalists in German security forces in southern France, 1940-44?

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Sid Guttridge

Re: How widespread were Spanish Nationalists in German security forces in southern France, 1940-44?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 06 Apr 2020, 11:19

Hi Ironmachine,

I was not offering an "excuse", just a possible reason.

Cheers,

Sid.

Ironmachine

Re: How widespread were Spanish Nationalists in German security forces in southern France, 1940-44?

Post by Ironmachine » 06 Apr 2020, 16:14

Well, yes, that could be a reason: lack of knowledge. But when you are writting a book, a book that gives itself airs, then it is not much to ask for that the most basic facts (facts that can be easily checked) are right. I can't see how he could so focused on the Resistance that he got wrong the most basic facts about their opponents. If the title of your book is La Liberation de l'Ariege, then both sides involved should be correctly covered (which is not the same that equally covered: the autor may put the emphasis on Resistance forces, but what he wrotes about the Axis forces should not contain blatant mistakes).

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 07 Apr 2020, 22:52

My first question was in one or more individuals might have been affiliated with security forces of the Spanish government & been present with the Germans on a official but clandestine capacity? ie: intelligence operatives working in cooperation with the Germans. Or border security forces. In either case their function would have been more for gathering information on the French resistances connection to residual opposition to Francos government. Since the research of the members here did not turn up such a connection it seems less likely.

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”