What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
gebhk
Member
Posts: 1753
Joined: 25 Feb 2013 20:23

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by gebhk » 27 Aug 2020 11:22

No, not the same Henryk. My Henryk alas, is no longer with us, but you are right that he would have been over 90 if he was.

Futurist
Member
Posts: 3642
Joined: 24 Dec 2015 00:02
Location: SoCal

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by Futurist » 17 Sep 2020 06:02

When did he die?

gebhk
Member
Posts: 1753
Joined: 25 Feb 2013 20:23

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by gebhk » 17 Sep 2020 10:28

Late 2009, if memory serves.

User avatar
wm
Member
Posts: 6507
Joined: 29 Dec 2006 20:11
Location: Poland

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by wm » 17 Sep 2020 19:59

Futurist wrote:
16 Aug 2020 02:24
Would Palestine have actually needed them, though?
Of course. After the (planned and real) expulsion of Palestinians, there were millions of vacancies.

Futurist
Member
Posts: 3642
Joined: 24 Dec 2015 00:02
Location: SoCal

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by Futurist » 17 Sep 2020 20:29

wm wrote:
17 Sep 2020 19:59
Futurist wrote:
16 Aug 2020 02:24
Would Palestine have actually needed them, though?
Of course. After the (planned and real) expulsion of Palestinians, there were millions of vacancies.
Similar to how there were millions of vacancies in the Recovered Territories in and after 1945?

User avatar
wm
Member
Posts: 6507
Joined: 29 Dec 2006 20:11
Location: Poland

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by wm » 17 Sep 2020 22:14

Germany waged war in a criminal manner, never seen before in modern history, trying to achieve pointless (and unachievable anyway) goals, goals maybe acceptable in the 19th century but not later.

The blood of their victims cried to heaven for revenge. Germany surrendered unconditionally, so its new rulers had the right to dispose of its territory as they liked, and they did it. It wasn't nice, but vae victis.

Israel is a perfectly legal country today; it's an effective conquest (according to international law, and nothing wrong with it).

But the place was colonized using manipulative politics and then partially ethnically cleansed. That's a huge difference, even if Israel is a perfectly legal country today.

You could do that in the 18th, in the 19th century, and nobody would see anything wrong with it.
But in the 20th century, many people knew better.

Futurist
Member
Posts: 3642
Joined: 24 Dec 2015 00:02
Location: SoCal

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by Futurist » 18 Sep 2020 07:59

wm wrote:
17 Sep 2020 22:14
Germany waged war in a criminal manner, never seen before in modern history, trying to achieve pointless (and unachievable anyway) goals, goals maybe acceptable in the 19th century but not later.

The blood of their victims cried to heaven for revenge. Germany surrendered unconditionally, so its new rulers had the right to dispose of its territory as they liked, and they did it. It wasn't nice, but vae victis.

Israel is a perfectly legal country today; it's an effective conquest (according to international law, and nothing wrong with it).

But the place was colonized using manipulative politics and then partially ethnically cleansed. That's a huge difference, even if Israel is a perfectly legal country today.

You could do that in the 18th, in the 19th century, and nobody would see anything wrong with it.
But in the 20th century, many people knew better.
Did any 19th century wars actually involve planned expulsions by the tens of millions?

Also, it's interesting that the UN was willing to admit Israel as a member almost immediately.

User avatar
wm
Member
Posts: 6507
Joined: 29 Dec 2006 20:11
Location: Poland

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by wm » 18 Sep 2020 08:25

The goal was dominiation in Europe, later world (political) domination.
Expulsions were the means to achieve it.

In 1945 the world was still thoroughly colonial. That the better - white people had the right to rule over the less better people was still assumed.
As both the US and the USSR supported it nobody sane was going to oppose it.

Futurist
Member
Posts: 3642
Joined: 24 Dec 2015 00:02
Location: SoCal

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by Futurist » 20 Sep 2020 04:04

wm wrote:
18 Sep 2020 08:25
The goal was dominiation in Europe, later world (political) domination.
Expulsions were the means to achieve it.
Still crazily ambitious given just how many people were actually needed to be expelled!
In 1945 the world was still thoroughly colonial. That the better - white people had the right to rule over the less better people was still assumed.
As both the US and the USSR supported it nobody sane was going to oppose it.
Makes sense.

User avatar
wm
Member
Posts: 6507
Joined: 29 Dec 2006 20:11
Location: Poland

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by wm » 20 Sep 2020 19:45

His wars were unwinnable, his goals unachievable by "standard" means. Germany wasn't that rich or powerful. This is why he had to cut corners; enslave, starve, kill, expel by millions.

Futurist
Member
Posts: 3642
Joined: 24 Dec 2015 00:02
Location: SoCal

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by Futurist » 20 Sep 2020 20:08

Hitler could have won World War II had Britain made peace in 1940, no?

Also, it seems like Hitler would have more strongly enjoyed being a Russian Tsar, no?

User avatar
wm
Member
Posts: 6507
Joined: 29 Dec 2006 20:11
Location: Poland

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by wm » 20 Sep 2020 21:12

That was the plan - a peace treaty with Britain and then world domination.
But if your plan is based on expected other people's actions, it isn't planning - it's gambling.

Hitler said many times he would retire after the war and spent the rest of his life enjoying his main hobby - architecture.

Futurist
Member
Posts: 3642
Joined: 24 Dec 2015 00:02
Location: SoCal

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by Futurist » 20 Sep 2020 22:14

Retire as the German Fuhrer? So, who would take his place?

Futurist
Member
Posts: 3642
Joined: 24 Dec 2015 00:02
Location: SoCal

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by Futurist » 22 Sep 2020 20:38

wm wrote:
20 Sep 2020 19:45
His wars were unwinnable, his goals unachievable by "standard" means. Germany wasn't that rich or powerful. This is why he had to cut corners; enslave, starve, kill, expel by millions.
Hey wm, this is somewhat off-topic, but which wars do you believe were actually worth starting?

gebhk
Member
Posts: 1753
Joined: 25 Feb 2013 20:23

Re: What did non-Jewish city and town life in eastern Poland look like in the interwar era?

Post by gebhk » 23 Sep 2020 13:36

which wars do you believe were actually worth starting?
Definitely worthy of a new thread - perhaps you could start one? I would be happy to supply my patented, 100% correct answer to that question there. But also clearly, it is way-off this topic 8O .

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”