New Tamiya paints

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
yantaylor

New Tamiya paints

Post by yantaylor » 07 Jun 2020, 21:13

Hi everyone.

I have started to build DAK vehicles in 1/72 scale and have been painting them with Tamiya XF-60 desert yellow. I found it okay maybe a bit dark with a green hint. I planned to also us XF-60 on German vehicle from Normandy 1944 along with Dark Green XF-61 and Red Brown XF-64 to form a tri-colour camo scheme.

Yesterday I saw a clip on Youtube which said that Tamiya have brought out a new desert yellow for DAK vehicles, this was dark yellow XF-88, which is really in relation to the old XF-60. Not only that but the new XF-88 is to be used to form a tri-colour camo along with two new colours, Dark Green XF-89 & Dark Red XF-90.

Now I like the new XF-88, especially for DAK vehicles because it gives a faded look similar to Buff. But I think it looks too light for Europe and the old XF-60 looks better.

I am unsure about the other camo paints, Dark Green XF-61 and Red Brown XF-64 and Dark Green XF-89 & Dark Red XF-90, I don’t know which is best.
Has anyone got any ideas?

Regards
Ian

wwilson

Re: New Tamiya paints

Post by wwilson » 08 Jun 2020, 09:57

Hi Ian,

Perhaps a way to approach this is to paint junk pieces of plastic with the colors that interest you and compare how they look to the RAL standard colors used by the DAK.

Many RAL colors shown here:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/color/ral_matrix.shtml

For 8020 and 7027, try these links

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-c ... 00167.html

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-c ... 00099.html

List of RAL colors used by DAK:

RAL NAME

1002 Sandgelb sand yellow Afrikakorps vehicles (inside),equipments(Helmets, gas mask cans)
6006 Feldgrau feldgrau Nr. 3 field grey Wehrmacht equipment and ammunition
7008 Khakigrau khaki grey Afrikakorps, camou on Grünbraun up to 42
7027 Sandgrau sand grey Afrikakorps, camou on gelbbraun since 42
7033 Grüngrau green grey Wehrmacht vehicles (inside), vehicle gears
8000 Grünbraun green brown Afrikakorps basic for camouflage with khakigrau until 42
8020 Gelbbraun yellow brown Afrikakorps, basis for camouflage since 42

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 08 Jun 2020, 11:33

Thanks WW, I am starting to build my stock of paints, but due to the lock down my local model shop is closed, so I checked on line for paints and it is not cost effective, mainly due to post etc.
So I am in limbo at the minute and starting to compile a list starting with DAK and 8th army colours.

The main areas I am working on is north Africa 40-42 and Europe 1944.
I also need a good colour for Japanese and Italian uniforms, so if you have any ideas I will be ready and waiting.

Ian

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 08 Jun 2020, 17:14

Hi Ian,

Actually some nice images on this forum of Japanese uniforms:

viewtopic.php?t=144163

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 08 Jun 2020, 21:58

Thanks WW, lots to choose from colour wise.
My choice of paint is going to be Tamiya, and if I could find colour to match either the green or the mustard colour of those unifoms, then I would be happy.
BTW; do you know a good colour green to go with the early Afrika Korps unifom, the different colours are varied with Russian green and sage green being mentioned.

Regards
Ian

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 09 Jun 2020, 07:17

Hi Ian,

Good question. This URL is interesting -- https://i.pinimg.com/736x/74/67/9f/7467 ... 89e3fd.jpg

My guess is that ideally the trousers were the same shade of green as the uniform blouse, but given fading in the sun, probably lots of variation.

There are some suggestions on colors to use in this thread -- http://www.theminiaturespage.com/boards ... ?id=160578

Sounds like one guy used to light gray to "fade" the Russian green.

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 09 Jun 2020, 11:23

Hi WW, there are some great links in your last post, I will be using them a lot in the coming day so thank you very much.
I have noticed that Vallejo paints are very popular, as most of the sites I have visited use them. I thought that I was fine using Tamiya and this brand would suit all of my needs, but no.

I want to break away from the enamel types of paint like Humbrol, I remember using enamels in the 70s and how much work you have to do cleaning up after each paint job.

Now back to the colour schemes, initially I wanted to concentrate on the north African campaign circa 1940-42, but looking at the sites I have visited, it looks like all the armies who fought there used the same colour, LOL, all the uniforms and vehicles used by the Germans, Italians and British seem to be sand coloured, that is why I wanted to use green on the DAK army, but I think that they stopped using green after 1941 or had a mix of sand and green uniforms.

Can you feel my pain LOL.

Regards
Ian

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 11 Jun 2020, 07:42

Hi Ian,
I remember using enamels in the 70s
That was the last time I painted models; showing my age LOL . . .
all the uniforms and vehicles used by the Germans, Italians and British seem to be sand coloured
The British uniform seems to have a more golden hue than that of the Germans. Or so depictions on computer screens indicate. I expect one aspect of your challenge is the scale of the figures and vehicles. Larger items would better show the color variations.

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 13 Jun 2020, 20:38

Hi WW, I am building my collection of vehicles and figures in 1/72 scale, I don’t know if I will ever wargame again because I don’t think that there are any clubs around these parts.

I thought that these days, the range of paints would cover every uniform and vehicle of all the big player in WW2, I must admit at being a little shocked at the idea of mixing colours to make the desired effect. I have work with paints a lot in my working live, either with spraying trucks or decorating peoples houses and I know enough to say that once you mix a batch of paint for a certain job, then you would be very lucky to get the same colour again.

I have complete infantry companies of German [inc DAK], British [inc 8th army], American, Russian, Italian and Japanese all based up and ready to paint. I have Khaki and Olive drab plus some German grey but apart from that, I am still struggling to find paint to cover the rest.

Ian

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 14 Jun 2020, 08:14

Hi Ian,

Oh yes, 1/72 is small enough that color variations may not stand out well. You're absolutely correct about mixing paint. Mix enough for the job and a bit more, because it is effectively a unique shade.

Your comment regarding difficulties finding the paint you need ties in with an observation of mine. It seems to me the 1970s were a sort of golden age in terms of the easy availability of model kits and supplies for them such as paint. From what I see today, most everything is mail order. What is available in stores are completely finished items and much of it is ahistorical rubbish.

I fear, sir, our day is passing. Best of luck finding your supplies and getting your "troops" properly kitted out!

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 14 Jun 2020, 22:08

You know what WW, I thought all the modelers this board, would have been all over this like a rash, but no!
But you have been a great help and thank you.
Wish you well
Regards
Ian

3anson

Post by 3anson » 16 May 2022, 16:28

probably too late to help, but you could have a look at the AK Real Color AFV range of paints, they can be thinned with alcohol or lacquer thinners, just like the Tamiya acrylics, but they have colours that are not in the Tamiya range( especially for the various dark yellows used by the Axis forces in the African campaign )

yantaylor

Post by yantaylor » 17 May 2022, 21:55

Hi Andon, thats for the input.
I am firmly keeping my feet in the Vallajo range for now, I have never had a compaint to make concerning their range.

Lovely part of the country Cornwall.
Regards
Ian

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 20 May 2022, 23:55

Talking of scale model paints ;

Can someone tell me why U.S colour 'Olive Drab', is labeled as 'Brown Violet' colour ( 877 ) in Vallejo paints ??? :?

It really baffles me, showing up that colour even in the painting guides....
Attachments
U.S. Olive Drab.jpg
U.S. Olive Drab.jpg (58.27 KiB) Viewed 7741 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

McDonald

Post by McDonald » 22 May 2022, 16:07

The answer is most probably because U S M-1 Helmets (Steel Pots) were never olive drab, at least I have never seen one in OD. The ones I wore when first in the Army were more like the Brown Violet Vallejo color, and were from WWII stocks. Later staring about 65-66 or so, the ones that were issued were painted in a color that most resembles Vallejo Russian Uniform Green, or maybe just a smidgen lighter, and had a sand like textrure applied to the paint. That seemed to be the standard until the newer helmets replaced the Steel Pot. The color did not matter much to us then because we wore cloth helmet covers, but that darker (than OD) helmet stands out in my memory. I also remember that the paint did not seem to be very good quality because it easily chipped leaving bare spots on the steel.

If WWII and Korea are the eras you primarily focus on in model building you might also want to note the use by American troops of burlap, cut from burlap bags, the kind that potatoes and other foodstuff are shipped in, used as improvised helmet covers. There is a lot of photgraphic Korean War evidence of this method in use, and some from WWII as well. The dark brown/violet paint had a little shine asociated with it, and shine was to be avoided by any front line Infantryman.

Return to “Model building”