How much value did Montgomery value Australian troops

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
pinjarra

How much value did Montgomery value Australian troops

Post by pinjarra » 12 Oct 2020, 01:45

As the title suggests, did Monty value Australian troops during the North African campaigns, was their contribution fully recognized and did he consider them as good fighting men, very little is apparent on this forum as far as I can see.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: How much value did Montgomery value Australian troops

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 12 Oct 2020, 23:33

Most were removed by his time with the 8th Army.

Thumpalumpacus

Post by Thumpalumpacus » 13 Oct 2020, 07:05

IIRC he used some Aussie troops in Supercharge. I don't remember his hindsight opinion; I read his memoirs 20 years ago and don't have the book to reference any more.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 13 Oct 2020, 08:53

9th Australian Division served under him at El Alamein and he praised them enormously. I'll see if I can dig out a quote for you. It's worth remembering that Montgomery spent time in Australia as a child when his father was Bishop of Tasmania.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 13 Oct 2020, 09:13

Monty memoirs, p.465

On visiting Australia in July 1947: ‘I was simply delighted to see the home country of the magnificent Australian soldiers who had fought so well at Alamein.’

Regards

Tom

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 13 Oct 2020, 12:28

pinjarra wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 01:45
As the title suggests, did Monty value Australian troops during the North African campaigns, was their contribution fully recognized and did he consider them as good fighting men, very little is apparent on this forum as far as I can see.
According to his biographer Nigel Hamilton, Montgomery visited HQ 9th Australian Division on 4th November 1942, as soon as it was clear that the battle had been won to thank Morshead for the work and sacrifices of his men who had done so much to win the battle after the failure of the Xith Corps to deliver their part of the battle. The 9th Australian division took more casualties than the whole of Xth Corps.

To respond to your last sentence. A searching the forum for "Australian" & "tobruk" yields 446 results and Australian & El Alamein 175 matches and 71 matches posts mentioning "Morshead". This is the Axis History Forum with a focus on the axis powers.

If you feel the value and achievements of the Australian armed forces have been overlooked then present your evidence.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 07 Nov 2020, 22:01

pinjarra wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 01:45
Hi pinjarra

In September 1942, Morshead recounted a conversation he'd had with Montgomery concerning Dominion commanders gaining higher command, that when he asked Monty if whether 9th Australian Division had ever failed to do what was required of it, he replied 'it was superb'

Regards

Andy H

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”