- Posts: 851
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009 13:59
- Location: Benghazi / Libya
Just a car; - but . . .
In 1907 Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft (today: Mercedes-Benz) developed the first vehicle with four-
wheel drive and all-wheel steering that was suitable for the desert. It was named after the then State
Secretary Bernhard Dernburg. From 1908 the car was in test use in DSWA by the state police until
the beginning of the war.
http://www.seriouswheels.com/1800-1919/ ... 80x960.htm
“ . . . After it, and after the end of German colonialism, all trace of the “Dernburg” was
lost – its fate is unknown. Paul Ritter, its driver and mechanic, returned to Marienfelde
in 1919 where he once more found employment with Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft.”
https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite ... id=9272050
http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-1 ... -Wagen.htm
Does anyone have any further information about what happened to the car during and after the war?
Are there any South African sources that mention that very special car?
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984