Argonnerwald, um Mitternacht

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Fallersleben

Argonnerwald, um Mitternacht

Post by Fallersleben » 12 Jun 2015 21:30

[Split from SA marschiert]
Ivan Ž. wrote:why are we discussing "SA marschiert" instead of the original, "Argonnerlied"?
Argonnerlied.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alexander B.

Post by Alexander B. » 19 Jun 2015 19:47

Thank you for more label scans of the original Argonner-Marsch.

Currently my only version of the original Argonner-Marsch is the common Telefunken A-2259, it is by far my favorite recording of the song to date.

Its interesting how many recordings of the SA version I've seen go by Argonner-Lied first, and by its SA title second, or even not at all. I suppose in similar fashion to the SA version of "Rote Husaren"

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 16 Aug 2015 12:54

Telefunken wrote:Currently my only version of the original Argonner-Marsch is the common Telefunken A-2259, it is by far my favorite recording of the song to date.

Its interesting how many recordings of the SA version I've seen go by Argonner-Lied first, and by its SA title second, or even not at all.
Let's make this clear one more time: "Argonnerwald, um Mitternacht" (Argonnerlied) is a song from WWI. Its melody was used by the Communists in their song "Im Januar, um Mitternacht" (Büxensteinlied) and by the Nazis in their "SA marschiert".

"Argonner-Marsch" is a 1932 composition by Hermann Männecke. He named it after the "Argonnerlied", which is the melody he used as the trio of his march. So "Argonner-Marsch" is NOT one of the titles of "Argonnerlied", but the title of Männecke's march exclusively. Although this march was named after the original WWI song, it was soon after its creation (because of the rise of the Nazism) suggested that to the trio tune should be sang "SA marschiert" instead of the original. And that is the reason of the titles referring to two different songs (a WWI one and a Nazi one) being mixed together. The final title of the "Argonner-Marsch" was "Argonner-Marsch; im Trio: SA marschiert; nach dem Argonner-Lied" (Argonne March; in trio: SA marches; based on the Argonne Song).

I will use this popular LAH recording of the piece to be more specific on the authorship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcVrL3v6ZJ8
0:00-0:06 signal "Wecken", trad.
0:07-1:10 march by Hermann Männecke
1:11-2:00 trio (song "SA marschiert", set to the "Argonnerlied" melody, trad.)
2:01-2:11 interlude by Hermann Männecke
2:12-2:39 trio again
(all put together by Hermann Männecke)

The 1937 Telefunken recording is NOT "Argonner-Marsch", that's a mistake - it is "Argonnerlied", without Männecke's march (however, it is indeed his arrangement of the old song and it contains Männecke's prelude/interlude). Please see my post here. I've removed your scans of the same record to prevent double-posting.
Telefunken wrote:Its interesting how many recordings of the SA version I've seen go by Argonner-Lied first, and by its SA title second, or even not at all. I suppose in similar fashion to the SA version of "Rote Husaren"
Not at all similar, in the "Braune Husaren" recording, the use of the old title "Rote Husaren" on the label was just a bit of a trick for customers, explained at the beginning of the recording itself by the narrator.

Return to “Music of the Reich”