Finnish volunteer with ss battle of the scheldt

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Wiking79

Finnish volunteer with ss battle of the scheldt

Post by Wiking79 » 21 Nov 2020, 13:55

Good day, I am trying to figure out a story about a Finnish volunteer who was with the SS.
He was a fanatic nazi and he loved to us his big knife to slash Canadians when captured.
There is a story that he beheaded a Canadian soldier and put his head on display on the battlefield.
This al happend near the town of Hoogerheide and Woensdrecht.
It is a phrase of a book from 1975 called ''Woensdrecht en Hoogerheide in de bange dagen van hun bevrijding.

for me this is new that the SS was also on the battlefield there.

Is there any who can tell me who he was and what unit he served with.

thanks in advance :D

Leibstandarte_fi

Re: Finnish volunteer with ss battle of the scheldt

Post by Leibstandarte_fi » 28 Nov 2020, 17:05

I think you are Trolling?
I have absolutely no information / never head of any Finnish, who have fought against Canadians, as a member of Waffen-SS?

Wiking79

Post by Wiking79 » 23 Jul 2021, 10:57

hello leibstandarte_ i am not trolling..

have read this in an article. Intussen waren er buurtbewoners in de kelder bijgekomen. Duits geschut werd aangevoerd en zelfs Duitse tanks rolden over de Antwerpsestraatweg richting Hoogerheide. Ook de heer L. Soffers zat met zijn gezin in de kelder van zijn woning. Ook Duitsers zaten er bij. Ze stikten bovendien nog van het ongedierte ook. Zijn huis werd als aflossingsplaats gebruikt, want regelmatig kwamen er nieuwe soldaten en andere vertrokken weer. Degenen, die aankwamen zaten van top tot teen onder de modder en stonken vaak naar de jenever. Hun bezwete gezichten zagen er grimmig uit. Vermoede!ijk kwamen zij uit de polders rond de schorren van de Schelde. Zo was er ook een Fin bij, die als vrijwilliger diende bij de SS. Deze reus van een vent had een mes met een gebogen lemmet, een groot krom mes. Op een gegeven ogenblik pakte hij Louis vast, toont hem dat mes, en doet al sluipend voor, hoe hij met dat mes een Tommie zal onthoofden. Aanvankelijk dacht Louis dat dit maar bluf was, maar wat bleek enige dagen later: Buiten op een weipaaltje stond inderdaad een hoofd van een Canadees met helm en al op. "Hoewel het nu 30 jaar later is, is dit niet te geloven, maar voor de waarheid van dit verhaal ga ik door het vuur. Met deze zin stokte even het verdere verhaal. Toen werd het thuis toch wel een beetje te benauwd. Dus besloot men naar de ovens van Steenfabriek "De Vijver" te gaan. Op bevel van de Duitsers verliet Louis met vrouw en kinderen zijn 32 Woensdrecht en Hoogerheide in de bange dagen van de bevrijding

this is an frase erom the bookwoensdrecht en hoogerheide in bange dagen

its a book from 1975 translate the text from dutch to English

yours sincerely Wiking79

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 23 Jul 2021, 17:48

Hello Wiking79,
I don't know if the witnesses are thrue but I guess your text is coming from this book:
https://www.geschiedkundigekringboz.nl/ ... ijding.pdf
Regards from Belgium
Prosper :wink: :wink:

Harro

Post by Harro » 28 Jul 2021, 06:49

Indeed, and unless "wiking79" has more sources, he gave a coloured and/or inaccurate version of what the text actually says. There's no mention of the Fin slashing Canadians when captured. The source states that the Fin showed him how he would sneak up on an enemy soldier to decapitate him and that, some days later, the head of a Canadian was placed on a wooden post - helmet and all.

For that matter, there's also no mention of the Fin being Waffen-SS. It just reads "a giant Finnish SS volunteer"

Leibstandarte_fi

Post by Leibstandarte_fi » 29 Jul 2021, 07:39

Harro wrote:
28 Jul 2021, 06:49
Indeed, and unless "wiking79" has more sources, he gave a coloured and/or inaccurate version of what the text actually says. There's no mention of the Fin slashing Canadians when captured. The source states that the Fin showed him how he would sneak up on an enemy soldier to decapitate him and that, some days later, the head of a Canadian was placed on a wooden post - helmet and all.
For that matter, there's also no mention of the Fin being Waffen-SS. It just reads "a giant Finnish SS volunteer"
Ty Harro!

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”