Does "Kampffahren" necessarily refer to Siebel ferries?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Sid Guttridge

Does "Kampffahren" necessarily refer to Siebel ferries?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 23 Feb 2021, 15:16

Does "Kampffahren" necessarily refer to Siebel ferries, or were there other types of vessel that might be covered by this term, such as MFPs?

Thanks for any assistance,

Sid.

Richard Anderson

Re: Does "Kampffahren" necessarily refer to Siebel ferries?

Post by Richard Anderson » 23 Feb 2021, 19:40

Sid,

Insofar as I can tell, Kampffähren included all armed Fährprähmen that were not exclusively intended as transports and were not the "classic" naval vessels types such as Kreuzer, Zerstörer, U-Boote-Jäger, and so on. So it included the Artillerie-Fährprähme, the Flak-Jäger, and the Artillerie-Leichter, whether Marinefährprähme, Marinenachschubleichter, or Siebelfähr-based.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 23 Feb 2021, 20:37

Hi Richard,

Thanks. I rather feared that might be the case when I couldn't find "Kampffahren" as a specific class of vessel, just apparently a descriptive generalisation.

I was trying to identify what it specifically meant from a German naval document about the Gulf of Liguria in mid 1944: "Stellt Deutsches Mar.Kdo Italien Gruppe West vorbehaltlich Entwicklung eigener Lage zunächst in Mentone 2 RABoote, in Genua 2 U-Jäger und 2 Kampffähren, in Monaco 2 Kampffähren und in La Spezia 2 deutsche R-Boote zur Verfügung."

Thanks again,

Sid

Darius333

Post by Darius333 » 25 Feb 2021, 22:43

Hi Sid,

in Mid of 1944 "Kampffähren" refers for Liguria to Marinefährprähme with additional armament, f.e.:F 589, F 503, F 439.
They were combined in "Kampfgruppen".

Artilleriefährprähme were never user in the Mediterranean, but only in the West, North Sea, Baltic.

Siebelfähre were of course modified to "Kampffähre" and used by the Luftwaffe / Kriegsmarine in the Mediterranean - but not in the Ligurian at the time you requested.

https://historisches-marinearchiv.de/pr ... eibung.php

Regards

Darius

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 26 Feb 2021, 12:13

Hi Darius333,

Many thanks.

I have checked your link and it has led on to lots of additional useful material.

Cheers,

Sid

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”