For Sale - Unpublished Michael Wittmann (?) Tiger pics

WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related items you have for sale. By posting items for sale in this section, you agree to the guidelines found in this section.
richcarrick

For Sale - Unpublished Michael Wittmann (?) Tiger pics

Post by richcarrick » 11 Mar 2021, 18:02

Hi - I am currently selling a huge double photo album on eBay UK. Item is advertised as follows:

WWII German Photo Albums x 2 - 850 Superb Photos - Multiple Pics of TIGER TANKS

I've been informed that the seven photos of Tigers show tanks of III Platoon of the 13th (Heavy) Company, 1. SS Pz. Rgt. LSSAH at Kursk. For example, turmnummer '1333' is visible which was the mount of SS-Unterscharführer Hans Höld.at Kursk, damaged after 'Citadel' on a railway flatcar.
I'd be grateful to hear any comments to the contrary.
Its possible other photos show Wittmann's tank. Is there a way to identify it for sure?

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: For Sale - Unpublished Michael Wittmann (?) Tiger pics

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 12 Mar 2021, 04:16

richcarrick wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:02
Hi - I am currently selling a huge double photo album on eBay UK. Item is advertised as follows:

WWII German Photo Albums x 2 - 850 Superb Photos - Multiple Pics of TIGER TANKS

I've been informed that the seven photos of Tigers show tanks of III Platoon of the 13th (Heavy) Company, 1. SS Pz. Rgt. LSSAH at Kursk. For example, turmnummer '1333' is visible which was the mount of SS-Unterscharführer Hans Höld.at Kursk, damaged after 'Citadel' on a railway flatcar.
I'd be grateful to hear any comments to the contrary.
Its possible other photos show Wittmann's tank. Is there a way to identify it for sure?
By posting these Tiger pics in outr board on armored vehicles and Panzer tank board and the Wittmann fan boyd will let you knoe.POst pics here and we shall let you know if these albums are legit or blowing smoke nonsense as we are pretty knowelegble on pics

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 12 Mar 2021, 04:18

Myself, unlees I see the actual albiums, and both sides of these so called unpublished pics I would have major doubts and red flags of your dor sale items

richcarrick

Post by richcarrick » 12 Mar 2021, 11:24

the other Tiger is '932' of the SS Totenkopf. Definitely genuine photos. I will try and post images, but obviously I am going to obscure them to prevent copying. I will also carry out a blacklight test

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 12 Mar 2021, 19:30

Rich,

previously unknown original photos of "Michel" Michael Wittmann I personally would not show in an internet forum, certainly not.
If I wanted to sell these photos, I would digitize them in the best possible way, and offer the images to one of the world-renowned auction houses.

But all this is purely theoretical, probably I would keep the photos, why, because they are probably unique.
I have always been a collector, never a dealer, hawking pictures as quickly as possible has never been the very first, and certainly not the very best decision.

You should keep thinking about it, you can only sell once, and in a few years you will probably regret a hasty sale.

Good luck! :milwink:

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

richcarrick

Post by richcarrick » 12 Mar 2021, 20:12

thanks for the advice

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 13 Mar 2021, 02:05

richcarrick wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 11:24
the other Tiger is '932' of the SS Totenkopf. Definitely genuine photos. I will try and post images, but obviously I am going to obscure them to prevent copying. I will also carry out a blacklight test
Just post, and do a watermark via PC software, I'm not sure what the blacklight thing is on photopaper, show the backs if you do not want to show the actual image.and a pic of the albums themselfves, easy concept try it

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 13 Mar 2021, 02:06

Hans1906 wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 19:30
Rich,

previously unknown original photos of "Michel" Michael Wittmann I personally would not show in an internet forum, certainly not.
If I wanted to sell these photos, I would digitize them in the best possible way, and offer the images to one of the world-renowned auction houses.

But all this is purely theoretical, probably I would keep the photos, why, because they are probably unique.
I have always been a collector, never a dealer, hawking pictures as quickly as possible has never been the very first, and certainly not the very best decision.

You should keep thinking about it, you can only sell once, and in a few years you will probably regret a hasty sale.

Good luck! :milwink:

Hans1906
Good advice fellow member...

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 15 Mar 2021, 12:57

Mark,

a "digital watermark" may seem at first glance to provide some protection for a historical photo, but most of us know how to remove that protection with just a few clicks, etc.
The backs of such photos usually offer some important clues, stamps, numbers, handwritten abbreviations, usually written with a pencil, etc.

No hard feelings! :wink:

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 19 Mar 2021, 01:01

Well, I doubt there was never no albums,much less Wittmann related pics.If there was he would of proven that here. IOW another guy blowing smoke

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 20 Mar 2021, 16:20

Mark,

I am careful with such statements, I know and have known photo albums and individual pictures that were often acquired privately and also at household resolutions.
Even today it is hard to believe what comes out of private hands, more than 75 years after the end of the Second World War.

"Michel" Wittmann, just one of these examples, but who am I telling this ... :wink:
Nothing, nothing at all is impossible, there is a very nice German proverb:

"Man hat schon Pferde kotzen sehen!" (E: "You have seen horses puke!")

Anything is possible, anything, in this sense greetings to you! :milwink:

Hans1906

P.S. I have a handful of old press photos that Galland and Steinhoff showed in a traditional local pub in the 1960s, just as a small example, grandfather always received a few paper prints from a former press photographer, all old stuff nobody wants to see anymore.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 22 Mar 2021, 03:22

Hans1906 wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 16:20
Mark,

I am careful with such statements, I know and have known photo albums and individual pictures that were often acquired privately and also at household resolutions.
Even today it is hard to believe what comes out of private hands, more than 75 years after the end of the Second World War.

"Michel" Wittmann, just one of these examples, but who am I telling this ... :wink:
Nothing, nothing at all is impossible, there is a very nice German proverb:

"Man hat schon Pferde kotzen sehen!" (E: "You have seen horses puke!")

Anything is possible, anything, in this sense greetings to you! :milwink:

Hans1906

P.S. I have a handful of old press photos that Galland and Steinhoff showed in a traditional local pub in the 1960s, just as a small example, grandfather always received a few paper prints from a former press photographer, all old stuff nobody wants to see anymore.
Well I agree with your ereply, but the burden of proof is on a seller to quieten the natsayers, (me) asnd he did not. THta is a major red flag with some of these rare items, a gfuy says he has one, but never shows proof when called oput on it, like I did to this guy. I say he was playing and trying to find a sucker buyer,

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 22 Mar 2021, 10:49

Hello

Just for the fun of it, it is easy to find on ebay.uk:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-German- ... SwM65gR3OE

Have a look :-)

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 22 Mar 2021, 16:32

I'd like to apologise to Rich for the poor reception and hasty reactions by our fellow members in this topic (kstdk excluded).

Mark, next time before questioning member's claims and raising red flags, first click on the username and check his/her previous posts. In Rich's case, you'd see that half of his posts were made in a single topic, where we discussed a collection of rare photos, which were later offered for sale. Meaning that the chances of such a member having another rare photo collection were rather high. Additionally, if you googled the auction title he provided, you'd quickly find the photos in question (as kstdk pointed out). Finally, Rich only wanted to hear opinions on the images, not to try to sell them here. You were right in advising him to post the images in the Panzer section, but all other comments were unnecessary.

Hans1906, urging a fellow member not to post historically interesting material on a history forum is really counterproductive to say the least (as Mark already suggested). Please don't ever do that again. As for Michael Wittmann himself, neither is he a truly important historical figure nor are his images exceptionally rare, so your idea of offering the photos - which don't even show him but maybe his tank - to world-renowned auction houses, as if they were some ground breaking discovery, was, in the absence of a better word, silly. (As always, don't take my criticism personally, it's aimed at a particular issue.)

Cheers,
Ivan

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 24 Mar 2021, 17:19

Ivan,

I accept your opinion about the photos, my opinion is very different, calling me an idiot, that is your very personal choice.
As a moderator you are in the situation to edit your own posts later, you are allowed to do that, fine.

I collected tens of thousands of photos in the 1980s and the 1990s. Most of the pictures came from private estates, and maybe 15% of the pictures came from a waste paper container, nothing more.

I spoke with a great many German war widows, sometimes for several hours talking about Sevastopol, the General SS, the Waffen SS.
I have the photos, and I have always asked to be allowed to show the pictures on the Internet.
This was not the wish of the bereaved, and I abide by it, for me a matter of course.

Hans1906

Return to “For Sale & Wanted”