Transition from Pz.Jg.Kp to Pz.Jg.Abt for divisions stationed in Normandy

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
AETIUS 1980

Transition from Pz.Jg.Kp to Pz.Jg.Abt for divisions stationed in Normandy

Post by AETIUS 1980 » 07 Jun 2021, 13:21

Hello,
Following my work on the 716.Inf.Div, an important dilemma arises for me. Although some units like the 243, 245, 346.Inf.Diven clearly have anti-tank (and anti-aircraft) units distributed within a specific command (Panzerjäger.Abteilungen), others appear or are still in gestation on June 5, 1944. If the transition is clearly recorded with the 709.Inf.Div, various testimonies of members of 1 and 2.Pz.Jg.Kpen.716 (as well as writings of the Div.Stab the day after the landing) confirm to me that the thing did not succeed for the 716.Inf.Div.
This also seems relevant for 711.Inf.Div (although the words of Generalleutnant REICHERT affirm the presence of a detachment /Abteilung in the ranks of his division). So my question is this; Was there a directive from the OKH ?, Heeresgruppe.B ?, AOK.7 or 15? concerning a transition to the benefit of static divisions over anti-tank capabilities? And if so, a timeline had been set for the end of this transformation ? I know that the 352.Inf.Div, for example, benefited from a steering wheel of personnel from the Pz.Jg.Abt.254 for its establishment, and that an officer originated from the 34.Inf.Div (Hauptmann Wilhelm HÜMMERICH) served in February 1944 as an instructor and then head of Pz.Jg.Abt.709.
The units of the 15th wave seem to have been wronged on the subject (like the 265, 266 and 343.Inf.Diven operating in Brittany); answers or at least outside help on the subject would be welcome.
Thanks again.

jpz4

Re: Transition from Pz.Jg.Kp to Pz.Jg.Abt for divisions stationed in Normandy

Post by jpz4 » 07 Jun 2021, 15:17

I've been looking for orders to improve the antitank elements of the 709ID and 716ID for many years myself. Unsuccessfully. So far I've not found anything at any level. The 346ID and 243ID were being transformed to mobile divisions, providing a good reason to create a proper AT-bn. This is not the case for the 709ID and 716ID. The OKH issued orders for the creation of the AT-bns in the 243., 346., 352., 353., etc.
I've not found anything similar for the 'regular' static divisions (incl. 709 and 716). What happened with them seems to have been rather arbitrary. It should also not be overlooked that the battalion staff of the 709ID seems to have been very make-shift in nature, possibly taking advantage of Hümmerich's presence as a suitable commander. He had actually been with Gen.Kdo.LXXXIV.A.K. for a long time already, commanding its Aufkl.Schw. which was then dissolved and used to (help) create AT elements for the 709ID and 716ID.
Being away from the expected invasion area, the divisions in Bretagne received no priority to improve their AT-forces. Arguably a fair decision considering the shortages.

AETIUS 1980

Re: Transition from Pz.Jg.Kp to Pz.Jg.Abt for divisions stationed in Normandy

Post by AETIUS 1980 » 07 Jun 2021, 16:03

Yes, not a priority as I knew it. Do you have more information regarding the dissolution of Aufkl.Schw.LXXXIV.AK? I know that at least one of the platoon leader of 2./Pz.Jg.Kp.716 (Feldwebel THOMAS) came from there, since transferred in February 1944. And why dissolve a rapid intervention unit, to reconvert the skills of his men on positions in the field of anti-tank ?
As I was able to note in another of my texts, a captive of 1./Pz.Jg.Kp.716 reports the use of an element of Pz.Jg.Abt.384 (384.Inf. Div) for the establishment of a federating element within the anti-tank units of the 716. Although the only one to cite him (he was a NCO), the fact remains that this unit resided in the Lisieux sector before its deployment to the Ostfront in November 1943.
Merci

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”