Decals on "relic helmets"

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Goose331186

Decals on "relic helmets"

Post by Goose331186 » 10 Jun 2021, 13:31

Hi all new here

I am having trouble posting pics it says file size too large

However I am wondering about decals and if the should/would/could last long in certain elements

If most of the helmet is rusted would the decal survive because of the paint and texture where you could make it out?

Its not like its perfect but you can def see said decal

The reason I asked is because I would see old signs or whatever and sometimes you can still see the lettering but the rest is rusted so can the same be true with helmet?

Thank you!

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Decals on "relic helmets"

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 10 Jun 2021, 20:14

Try this, post the pics to your FB if you have one, then click to save to your zPC files, then delete pics from FB the size should be reduced,as for your question,you taqlkijg about a relic helmet you have with a decal still on? Leave it alone and yes, dercals and remnants of one do survive the rust and being buried, etc

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Jun 2021, 09:06

Good morning Goose331186,

about your demand, I would recommend a google photo search for "stahlhelm bodenfund":

Link: https://www.google.com/search?q=stahlhe ... 00&bih=759

Also, please take a look at the excellent german website "Stahlhelmsammlung", hostet by Herr Sebastian Meyer from Berlin:

Stahlhelmsammlung.DE https://www.stahlhelmsammlung.de
Please look at the section "Konservieren & Restaurieren"...

There are certainly more than a dozen good websites about the German steel helmets, unfortunately mostly in German of course...
Good luck for your further research..! :milwink:

Hans

* Attached photo from Corbis: Demilitarization of German Steel Helmets after WWI.
Attachments
Zerstörung Stahlhelme mit Spitzhacke nach WW I Deutschland Corbis.jpg
Zerstörung Stahlhelme mit Spitzhacke nach WW I Deutschland Corbis.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Jun 2021, 11:59

A well known german movie clip from the years after 1945:

"Küchengeräte Aus Stahlhelmen": https://www.isnichwahr.de/r211246-helm- ... krieg.html

A lot of such stuff Online, sometimes a little bit difficult to find, these short clips normally not in the large "Mediathek"
resources, sorry...

Hans

* In our childhood years, the late 1950s and the early 1960s, german "Stahlhelme" were all around, as youngsters we did not
even collect them. We were told, to "Stay away from this material!"
Family speech was to stay away from all this stuff, and never to touch something "strange", like a german "Panzerfaust"... :roll:
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Goose331186

Post by Goose331186 » 11 Jun 2021, 23:34

Im having trouble navigating this site haha but im trying my best

To mark : yes I have 5 helmets and 4 of them would probably be considered "ground dug"

Out of those 4... 3 have decals

Out of those 3 are two "SS"

The one im wary about but the last one I got just something is telling my gut its the real deal

Like I said they are both in bad condition but I actually LIKE them looking like that (more of a cool story behind it in my opinion)

And to Hans: thank you a lot of those pics still had decal survive so that gives me hope

And that is SO interesting what they did to the helmets wow

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”