Berlin Soldbuch help needed

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
gary1405

Berlin Soldbuch help needed

Post by gary1405 » 16 Jul 2021, 14:57

Looking for a bit of help on the last posting for this guy please.
Book shows that he spent the early part of his duty with the 223 in Poland, France then the battles in Leningrad where he was awarded some medals.
Moving into 1944 he was then based at Marienfelde and Lankwitz up until 7/4/45.
This is where i need a bit of help as on page 13 is shows an entry for what looks like Kraft Park Ers Abt 4. Checking this online it would then put him with the 464 Infantry who at that time were in lower Saxony..... a good bit away from Berlin.
Am i reading this last entry correctly and would he have likely ended the war in Lower Saxony or could he have still been around Berlin for the final days of the war ?

Thanks
Gary
Attachments
7.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg

GregSingh

Re: Berlin Soldbuch help needed

Post by GregSingh » 17 Jul 2021, 04:32

:welcome:

This guy was from Riesa, just 30km NW from Dresden, drafted in nearby Grossenhain. So it was Wehrkreis IV Dresden, not Berlin (III).
He served a bit with a Flak unit on Berlin's outskirts, but then in early April '45 sent back to Saxony, 464 was stationed just east of Dresden, not in Lower Saxony!
464 took part in so called "Battle of Bautzen", where it was pinned down near Klitten by Soviet/Polish units, liquidated by 30th of April just south of Klitten, between Halbendorf and Förstgen.

Can't see how he could be in Berlin in May, unless he never made to Dresden in early April in the first place.
Did he die in the battle? Does his name show in German War Graves Commission or Ancestry search?

gary1405

Re: Berlin Soldbuch help needed

Post by gary1405 » 18 Jul 2021, 02:05

Thanks Greg ,.really good information you have gave me. I have checked Volksbund and he does not show on it....not checked ancestry as do not have the membership for it. Looking at the dates the allies attacked Berlin and Dresden he would have have had time to leave Berlin suburbs well before being cut off by an allied advance. Looks like he fought the his last days of WW2 in the Dresden area...perhaps being a Dresden man he secured a transfer in time to help defend his home city.

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”